The Accounting Assistant will assist the Senior Manager & Manager in ensuring reliable records are kept. They are also responsible for the proper and timely processing of interfirm billing activity ensuring compliance with monthly deadlines and tax requirements.
Working at Baker McKenzie:
Baker McKenzie is the world’s leading law firm with offices all over the world. Our Belfast Centre is home to over 400 teammates in both legal and professional services such as finance, IT, marketing and business support.
We offer one of the best workplace benefits packages in the business with comprehensive private health cover, income protection, life assurance and a full employee assistance plan. These and a host of other benefits make us one of the most desirable companies to work for in Belfast.
We are committed to promoting inclusion, diversity and equity for all and are confident we can provide a career as individual and as exceptional as you.
About the role:
As part of this role, the successful candidate will:
- Each month prepare, review in detail and distribute all interfirm invoices in an accurate and timely manner while ensuring that all required vat and system checks have been completed and documented
- Review all invoices received from member firms to ensure they are correct and tax compliant
- Review and process when correct all member firm payment transmittal and request forms and update banking records and ledgers accordingly
- Manage continuously all emails relating to interfirm billings and payments
- Review every week the Daily Transaction Sheet and follow up on any outstanding payments and transmittals that have not been paid/received
- Review outstanding interfirm balances every month and follow up per firm policies with member firms on overdue amounts
- Maintain the Master AR and AP files and VAT on IOB files and ensure they tie to the accounting records. Deal with queries from SAP Team on VAT on IOB bookings and reconcile VAT on the IOB file every month to underlying cost center data. This will also involve preparing the Irrecoverable Tax Reconciliation file every month
- Develop and maintain Interfirm billing account reconciliations between the ledgers and applicable sources
- Monitor various profit and loss and balance sheet accounts including inter-firm suspense accounts and ensure these reconcile at all times
- Liaise with Member Firm Accounting staff and where necessary train and advise them on processes to ensure that all open interfirm AP and AR accounts are reconciled at all times
- Assume the responsibilities of the Accounting Analyst when they are out of the office. This will involve ensuring that you are cross-trained and up to date on their tasks at all times
- Assist the Manager and Senior Manager on other tasks as required including annual audit tasks
To be successful in this role you will need:
Skills and Experience:
- Educated preferably to college degree level with a solid understanding of accounting and a general knowledge of VAT
- An in-depth knowledge of SAP and an affinity and curiosity as to how accounting packages work and can be best used.
- Reasonable skills in Excel
- Service-minded, with an eye for detail, and is highly organized
- A drive for excellence and taking personal responsibility for all tasks under the remit
- Dependable and can make the extra effort to meet deadlines
- A flexible and professional attitude
- Hands-on mentality and the ability to work both independently and with a team
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills (Fluent)