An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Business Manager – Employment and Compensation to join our growing team in our Belfast office.
The Business Manager – Employment and Compensation will lead and coordinate business operations for the Employment and Compensation Practice Group within EMEA with the aim of driving and enhancing practice performance in line with the global practice strategy and the overall strategy of the Firm. The Practice Group comprises core Employment, Pensions, Immigration, and Benefits.
Working at Baker McKenzie:
Baker McKenzie is the world’s leading law firm with offices all over the world. Our Belfast Centre is home to over 400 teammates in both legal and professional services such as finance, IT, marketing and business support.
We offer one of the best workplace benefits packages in the business with comprehensive private health cover, income protection, life assurance and a full employee assistance plan. These and a host of other benefits make us one of the most desirable companies to work for in Belfast.
We are committed to promoting inclusion, diversity and equity for all and are confident we can provide a career as individual and as exceptional as you.
- Advise and support the Associate Director of Business Management and the two Practice Group Leaders on strategic, business, and operational matters across the EMEA region
- Develop, update and monitor the business plan of the practice and help set and manage the budget proactively to ensure effective implementation of the Firm strategy
- Drive improvements in operational and financial performance by monitoring and analyzing key performance indicators at practice and service line level, ensuring alignment with planned targets (including cost management, working capital, staffing, and margin contribution)
- Ensure cross-practice and cross-functional initiatives implementation at the Practice Group level and coordinate resources from other Professional & Business Services (PBS) functions supporting the same Practice Group to ensure proper coverage and effective strategy execution
- Formulate and operationalize strategic initiatives leveraging our geographic, industry, and client reach, with a clear view to building market presence and generating revenue
- Capture efficiency and innovation opportunities for the main service lines by leading and participating in initiatives, aligned within the global practice and with other Practice Groups
- Ensure appropriate resourcing model, headcount planning, staffing, and talent pipeline (including training and performance management) leveraging support from, and in coordination with, other PBS functions
- Coordinate interactions with Industry Groups making sure that go-to-market and service delivery is appropriate for clients in those sectors
- Monitor and ensure effective implementation of client and business development plans leveraging support from other PBS functions
- Coordinate internal Practice Group engagement activities and meetings fostering positive and open communication
- Leverage services provided by shared service centres and specialist functions within the PBS organization to drive excellence and efficiency
- Lead and participate in projects for the practice
Skills and Experience:
- Relevant undergraduate degree required
- Good professional management experience in a global setting, ideally in a professional services environment
- Proficiency in law firm operations, legal accounting, and finance
- Proficiency in using MS Office applications, including PowerPoint and advanced functions of Excel
- An understanding of the elements of law firm profitability at practice group, service line, client, matter, and attorney level
- Strong business sense and good judgment in problem-solving
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Effective communication at all organizational levels
- Experience with business management, including an understanding of the challenges of operating in different markets regionally
- Ability to manage multiple complex operations with continual attention to detail (including accuracy with numbers)
- Experience conducting complex qualitative and quantitative analysis, interpreting results, and suggesting action plans
- Experience coordinating people in different locations and cultures
- Ability to work effectively in informal teams and collaborate cross-practice and cross-function in a global organization
Please note, that this job description is not exhaustive as other duties may be required to fulfil the requirements of the role.