The Anti-Money Laundering ("AML") Deputy Manager will support the AML Compliance Manager to supervise the London AML Risk & Compliance team in all aspects of client and matter registration.
The AML Deputy Manager will be responsible for ensuring effective day-to-day management of the team including work allocation and performance management.
The AML Deputy Manager will work closely with the AML Risk & Compliance team, the AML Compliance Manager, the Senior Risk & Compliance Associate, the MLCO, and MLRO.
- To support the AML Compliance Manager to supervise and manage the AML Risk & Compliance team
- Develop and maintain the workflow management of the AML Risk & Compliance team including taking responsibility for work allocation and ensuring that work is distributed appropriately while also ensuring that service levels are met
- Check in with all AML Analysts periodically to review completion rates, discuss queries and identify and deal with any performance concerns
- Assist with the recruitment, retention, and performance management of the AML Risk & Compliance team, dealing with any performance issues and assisting with performance reviews
- Provide regular updates to the AML Risk & Compliance team on issues raised or trends identified
- Oversee the monitoring of timing of verification, liaising with Fee Earners where necessary to ensure verification is obtained promptly
- Oversee the management of the AML Risk & Compliance team inbox
- Work with the AML Compliance Manager to escalate any matters requiring senior management approval daily, including providing a walkthrough of any issues and a proposal as to whether a matter should be approved/rejected or if further information is needed
- Support the AML Compliance Manager to carry out regular training for the AML Risk & Compliance team to ensure the team are up to date with applicable AML laws and regulations and advise on how these changes affect the Firm and its processes
- Co-ordinate and manage the AML training plan for new members of the AML Risk & Compliance team and support the AML Compliance Manager in delivering this training
- Identify internal training needs for Fee Earners and Support Staff and assist with the planning and provision of training
- Assist with AML Compliance-related matters and projects as identified and assigned by the AML Compliance Manager
- As required to meet the demands of the business:
- Provide AML advice and manage relationships with key internal stakeholders: Partners, Fee Earners, PAs, Matter Management, New Business Intake, AML Compliance Manager, MLCO, MLRO, and Finance
- Review escalations and make risk-based decisions about higher-risk clients and matter risk assessments
- Advise on queries regarding third-party payers with minimal supervision, understanding the relevant rules regarding billing, and seeking tax advice where necessary
- Deal with the complex client due diligence queries: thoroughly document, research, and provide opinions on complex client matters and escalate findings clearly and concisely for internal review
- Perform client due diligence and screening for PEPs, Sanctions, Adverse Media, etc., utilizing several industry sources including disposition of screening alerts
- Perform and review client and matter risk assessments and make risk-based decisions based on the analysis undertaken
- Bachelor's degree required (2:1 or above preferred), as well as a Law degree / LPC, is preferred
- Some good relevant AML experience, preferably in an international law firm
- Experience with AML monitoring and screening
- Detailed knowledge of AML/CTF requirements and financial crime risks associated with the range of services in the legal industry
- Proven team management and work allocation experience is strongly preferred including experience of day-to-day performance management.
- Experience of AML/KYC/Due Diligence processes and systems e.g. Intapp, MINT Global / Orbis, World-Check One
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Ability to manage processes efficiently, with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience in managing projects and delivering to agreed timescales.
- A recognized AML/Compliance qualification is desirable but not essential
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong decision-making capabilities
- Team player adaptable to a fast-paced and changing environment
- Good planning, time management, and prioritization skills
- Ability to work independently and also to liaise with other departments
- Must have good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and other Productivity Tools (Intapp knowledge is an advantage)