Baker McKenzie is investing in a new capability: uniting data science, internal and external data, machine learning and legal domain expertise to create new value for our clients, our firm and our communities. At the centre of the firm’s Reinvent programme, this is at the cutting edge of innovation in the legal services industry. You will be there from the beginning part of the new BakerML team, working on pioneering projects to deliver machine learning enabled legal judgment.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our growing team of analytics experts. This position will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross-functional teams.
The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Engineer will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects
The engineer will perform deployment, operations and maintenance activities for all systems around the firm's data initiatives. This will include working with both technical and business teams to deliver these data solutions. This person will enforce standards, policies, and procedures related to the operation of sharing firm data with systems, data tools, and users of the firm's data. Some of these data systems include Data Centralization, with tools from Boomi and Denodo
They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and Azure ‘big data’ technologies
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Data, Analytics and Service Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Responsible for keeping data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and Azure tenant
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems
- Implement data flows for analytics and business intelligence (BI) systems
- Identify and use the appropriate analytical techniques and keeping up to date with advances in digital analytic tools, data manipulation techniques, and products
- You will be demonstrating how to expose data from systems (for example, through APIs), link data from multiple systems and deliver streaming services
- Working with stakeholders including data, design, product and business teams and assisting them with data-related technical issues
- Building analytical tools to utilize the data pipeline, providing actionable insight into key business performance metrics including operational efficiency, customer trends and habits
- Familiarity with several of the following scripting languages: Bash, Python, Java, Denodo, Boomi, Shell Scripting, .NET, SQL, NoSQL and Hadoop
What will you need?
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
- Ability to define, maintain and improve high code standards by leading others and putting the right process in place
- Ability to perform root cause analysis on external and internal processes and data to identify opportunities for improvement and answer questions
- Ability to build processes that support data transformation, workload management, data structures, dependency and metadata
Skills and Experience:
We are looking for a candidate with strong experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained a degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
They should also have experience using the following software/tools:
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools
- Experience with Azure cloud services
- Experience with stream-processing systems
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C#, R, etc.
- Some experience as a Data Engineer
- Some experience with building and optimizing data sets, data pipelines and architectures
- Ownership, initiative, and self-motivation
- Excellent people skills
- Must be a team player
- Must demonstrate initiative
- Must have effective written and oral communication skills