Role Type: Full-time, Permanent
Role Close Date: 23rd May, 2019
We are looking for an Accounting Specialist to join our highly regarded team at Baker McKenzie, Belfast. The Accountant will work for the BMI BV team which is based in Amsterdam. We are looking for someone to join the team who has a very strong work ethic and a genuine interest in process improvements and working for a law firm.
The successful candidate will manage on a day to day basis the accounting for all inter firm invoicing and payment transactions processed via Baker & McKenzie International BV (BMI BV) and Fairmont International BV (FI BV).
This encompasses interfirm (IF) billing, interfirm loans and global capital contributions. It also includes being responsible for the preparation of monthly VAT returns and Balance Sheet/P&L reconciliation files for the above legal entities.
- On a monthly basis manage the preparation of a workbook which provides a reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts and a review of P&L accounts. Ensure any reconciling items are followed up and resolved in the following month.
- Be responsible for the maintenance of invoice templates (SO10) and tax codes in SAP.
- Review and approve all IF settlements for payment by the Treasury Group. This involves staying up to date on certain tax changes in MF jurisdictions which impacts payments made.
- Prepare monthly VAT returns and annual EU VAT returns and submit these to the relevant Tax Authority when approved by the Manager. This will involve staying up to date on VAT requirements for IF billing purposes and filing obligations plus dealing with local VAT lawyers to respond to issues raised by Tax Authorities.
- Ensure that bank accounts that relate to Inter Firm settlements are kept up to date at all times in SAP. This will also involve allocating open AR/AP invoices against payments received/paid and ensuring that the balance in the Cash In Transit account 1094 is kept to a minimum and that this account balances to zero globally.
- On a monthly basis prepare a local and global AR/AP reconciliation. Ensure any differences are investigated and solved or communicated to the SAP team in Chicago for them to resolve.
- On a monthly basis reconcile all capital accounts globally.
- Be the "Go To Person" for all process questions relating to Inter Firm Irrecoverable Taxes and ensure that all bookings relating to these taxes are properly recorded and reconciled to under lying schedules each month.
- Prepare and organize the collection of Inter Firm Balance Confirmation Sheets from all member firms which are required each year for the annual audit.
- Cross train in the tasks of the Accounting Analyst and Intercompany Accountant and act as a replacement for these individuals when they are not in the office.
- Assist the Manager and Senior Manager on other tasks as required.
- Undergraduate degree in related disciple (2.1 or above preferred)
- A newly qualified accountant, or someone with equivalent experience;
- 2+ years experience within a finance role;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Microsoft Excel;
- Experience of using an accounting package
- Strong accounting skills and an ability to crystalize problems and offer solutions.
Technical & Personal Skills:
- Broad knowledge of Finance practices
- International experience including working for a multi-national and cross-cultural exposure preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- A motivated and driven individual
- Close attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively both independently, remotely and within a team environment
- Commitment to perform responsibilities within high professional and ethical standards.
- Drive and ambition to learn and to be part of a remote team
- A self-starter and is not reluctant to ask questions or suggest improvements
- Can prioritise; able to work well under pressure and multi-task to meet targets and tight deadlines
- Enthusiastic, pro-active and flexible approach
- Initial International travel will be required