We are looking for commercial lawyers to join our highly-regarded team at Baker McKenzie, Belfast.
Baker McKenzie is the No. 1 Firm for cross-border deals according to Thomson Reuters. With more than 1,200 lawyers across 77 offices we complete a transaction somewhere in the world almost every working day.
We work with a wide range of clients including PLCs, financial institutions and major multinational corporates. Our local legal and business knowledge, combined with our practiced fluency in cross-border transactions, makes us the first choice firm for the world's leading companies.
Our team in Belfast through innovative services and methods assists our practising offices in achieving efficiencies and economies of scale within matters and transactions. In this role, you will be part of a team of lawyers supported by local project management personnel and legal sector specialists from many jurisdictions across the globe.
We are seeking lawyers (0-5 years PQE) to join our team and work on a wide variety of matters and gain experience in a wide range of areas. This role would sit amongst the Corporate Commercial Support Unit which is a current service provided by GSB.
You would work closely with global practice groups such as the IT/Commercial, which is a significant driver of support instructions due to the area of the legal market they operate within. The IT/ Commercial team advises on a multitude of contentious and non-contentious IT and commercial matters in addition to a well established data protection practice. Matters range from major sourcing and other IT transactional agreements to a variety of e-commerce and new media issues such as content procurement, content distribution and licensing agreements and general commercial advisory work. The commercial legal projects are typically cross-border in their nature, of a high aggregate value and important to our clients.
Responsibilities may include:
- Contract reviews (e.g. supplier contracts / licensing contracts) either as a retainer or “virtual secondment”
- Data privacy document reviews
- Outsourcing agreement review (e.g. reviewing supplier responses to an RFP and producing a matrix “scoring” the response)
- Specific client projects such as business separation resulting in the need to assign / novate large volumes of contracts or regulatory change leading to the client needing to make a standard change; and assisting clients on work they do not have the capacity to manage inhouse;
- Assisting with the process, co-ordination and project management of matters;
- Developing strong working relationships with partners and lawyers in all sectors/departments and in many jurisdictions throughout the world;
- Contributing to the identification of innovative services and methods to assist in achieving efficiencies and continual process improvement;
- Innovative use of IT platforms and know-how databases; and
- Working with and training other teams (including legal professionals) within the Belfast office.
Job Holder Requirements:
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all or the majority of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with excellent academics credentials (minimum 2:1)
- Previous experience in a commercial firm. Ideally with experience of working on contracting and advisory issues in IT, outsourcing and data protection with, ideally, experience in contentious / pre-contentious matters
- Excellent writing skills and commercial approach
Technical & Personal Skills:
- Initiative and proactivity
- Maturity and gravitas
- Strong service orientation - a "client first" culture
- Ability to develop strong relationships within Baker McKenzie globally
- High work standards and a keenness to learn
- Flexible work practices
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to adapt style as required
- Ability to work well in both a team and individually
- The skillset developed by the successful candidate would be wide-ranging and versatile with the aim of being able