We are looking for a Legal Support Team Leader who demonstrates strong people management skills together with PA and administrative competencies to the highest level.
Your role is to ensure a high level of client service and provision of quality secretarial services, whilst demonstrating the ability to manage both self and others in order to contribute to our world class 24 hour service. The job holder will be responsible for ensuring that the fee earners receive a professional, efficient and high quality support from Legal PAs and Administrators. The emphasis of the role is to lead, manage and develop individuals and teams and promote cross department working.
The LSTL reports to the Legal Support Manager and is expected, on a daily basis, to create a positive working relationship with fee earners and the team with whom they work. We place an important emphasis on the development and well being of our people. We look to enable all of our employees to be the best they can be in order for them to deliver an excellent client service. We provide a tailored Learning & Development Programme for all staff in Secretarial Services, a structured induction programme for all of our new joiners, a buddy scheme, and offer excellent career development opportunities. Our Secretarial Services staff enjoy an inclusive and supportive culture.
We are looking for career-minded candidates who have legal sector or other professional services experience/background.
Resourcing and workflow management
- Take responsibility for the work you and your team produce ensuring high levels of attention to detail
- To support the LSM in helping to ensure quality of support to fee earners and make recommendations for where improvements can be made
- Manage resourcing of all Legal PA administrative staff by monitoring coverage, allocations, overtime and sickness/holiday absence
- To attend and contribute to team meetings, identifying new ways of working and suggesting improvements
- To encourage the PAs/Administrators to take ownership of projects and provide resourcing solution
- Ensure effective utilisation of in-house and off-shore resources to include DPU, Manila and Belfast
- Take an active interest in the workload and requirements of each area across the business and provide flexible services to ensure deadlines are consistently met
- Support your team to prioritise work daily by checking timescales, ensuring most important tasks are completed first, working with other LSTLs to address and manage peaks in workflow should the need arise
- Identify workflow issues and collaborate with others to propose solutions
People management, development and leadership
- To act as role model demonstrating exceptional behaviours at all times, including being available to PAs and stakeholders to deal with operational matters
- Create and maintain an efficient, effective and motivated team; encourage and inspire the team and positively influence morale; guide the team and lead by example
- Deal with any conflict within the team and break down barriers to create effective communications; flexing leadership style according to the individual, task and situation
- Be continually aware of, monitor and manage any performance, time keeping, sickness and informal employee issues escalating to the Legal Support Manager or HR in a timely manner
- To ensure PAs/Administrators adhere to Standard Operating Procedures, identifying performance and behavioural issues, identifying areas for improvement, implementing Performance Improvement Plans, setting and monitoring performance objectives
- To manage performance of PAs/Administrators to formal stage of HR process
- To manage evaluation process for team, helping to collate quality and substantive feedback from the fee earners as appropriate and as necessary, writing evaluation forms and conducting evaluation meetings
- To provide regular objective and constructive feedback with a view to motivating and enhancing performance
- Work with the Learning and Development team to identify skills gaps and training needs and address through a variety of learning interventions across the function
- Identify and support talent within the team, make recommendations to support career progression and prepare business cases for submission
- To communicate regularly with all Legal PAs and Administrators and be a visible presence; conducting regular 1:1s and team meetings
- In conjunction with the recruitment team and LSM, review CV's, take part in first stage interviews and onboarding
- Run team meetings on a regular basis, prepare agendas, ensure actions are allocated
- To promote and monitor the wellbeing and work life balance of the PA team
- Be flexible in approach to role and task completion and when applicable 'step-in' or 'step-up' to other roles/positions that may need support
Practice management support (specifics to be agreed with Department Manager and reviewed in conjunction with SLPA role)
- To meet regularly with (DMs), Partners and Business Managers to review the effectiveness of the secretarial team and ad hoc projects for them
- To support DMs with highly confidential matters, projects and documentation, as appropriate
- Assist the Department Manager and Business Manager with space management and office moves
Strategic thinking and change management
- Working with the wider LSTL team and the LSM to support introduction of new processes or projects e.g. billing process improvement, CDD
- Lead on embedding the reviewed secretarial models by continually assessing best practice considering the implications on advancing technology and ensure the Legal PA / Admin group skillsets are developed to support this
- Build relationships of trust across the firm by liaising with other Business Services teams and keeping abreast of firmwide initiatives and communicating as appropriate
- Promote and ensure that tasks are done by the appropriate resource, including Matter Administrators, General Administrators, DPU, Belfast and Manila
- Work with the LSM to determine the firm’s needs for delivery and user expectations of support; adapting and delivering change management programmes in line with business requirements
- Review, implement and improve processes and systems where necessary to ensure that the Legal PAs and Legal Administrators are working as efficiently as possible
- Develop and maintain a strong network across departments and externally in order to keep the LSTL team responsive to changes in the business, sharing best practice
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Proven experience of a business area/function including awareness of HR processes and policies, such as annual evaluations, performance management and feedback discussions
- Demonstrates excellent influencing and negotiating skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a seamless, integrated team approach to service delivery
- Ability to build and maintain credible, effective working relationships with all levels of staff within the firm and externally
- Ability to deal with difficult situations and stay calm under pressure
- Legal sector or other professional services experience / background (i.e from the Big Four)
- A proactive, 'Can-do' attitude
- Consistently demonstrates secretarial competencies to the highest level in all areas
- Strong technical skills
- Proficient in all software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent working knowledge of the firm's house style, document management system, templates and precedents
- Previous senior PA experience within a professional services environment
- High level organisational skills with proven project management skills
- People management and leadership skills
- People Management
- Client Service
- Technical and Specialist skills
- Organisational Skills
Diversity and Inclusion
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.