To provide leadership of the Singapore BDMC function and to offer pro-active, effective BDMC services to the Singapore office and other offices as required. To develop and execute business development and marketing initiatives for the Singapore office, working with executives to cover the BDMC requirements for all Practice groups in the office. Working closely with BDMC colleagues across the JAO, Asia Pacific and specialist functions, ensuring the delivery of day-to-day services.
The role is part of the JAO-wide BDMC leadership team.
- Implementation of the Firm and JAO and BD & Marketing strategy in terms of operational tasks, process management and efficiency improvements in Singapore.
- Support delivery and implementation of firm-wide Client Programs within a local context - yet aligned with global and regional priorities. Have personal responsibility of managing a small number of key clients, particularly those with a strong base or have key management in the local jurisdiction.
- Overall management and leadership of the BDMC team in Singapore.
- Assist with the office business planning process and strategy deliver (including on office strategy meetings) with the office general manager, and other functional leads, particularly from a BDMC perspective.
- Identify client opportunities through market research and drive the office's business development activities targeted at growth of existing client accounts and strategic acquisition of clients.
- Lead the process of client care reviews as required for the office.
- Support individual partners on BDMC strategies to assist with client relationship management, client acquisition and profile raising.
- Provide support for local partners in their personal sales activities, presentations, meetings and networking as is applicable and relevant
- Consider local go-to-market channels for purposes of revenue generation, i.e. Local Chambers of Commerce, national Government bodies, Corporate Counsel, local sponsorship opportunities, or any other relevant channels.
- Working with the team and the central pitching specialists to ensure Singapore and cross-border pitches and proposals are delivered at a high level of quality and strategic input.
- Team with colleagues and BDMC staff around the world to market our services and expertise in a way that is relevant to the local market, through the development and deployment of thought leadership content, market leading events, sponsorships and other profile-raising activities.
- Monitor and spot forward-looking issues and trends and translate their legal impact to clients and lawyers in a commercial way for impacting strategy, business plans and their execution.
- Manage and co-ordinate initiatives with BDMC teams, setting high standards and values, and embedding shared values of collaboration, market-leading intelligence and client service across the team.
- Work and co-ordinate with Industry Key Client (IKC) and Regional Client Managers in the Specialist BDMC function to drive key account management and client relationships with strategic accounts.
- Partner closely with other Specialist functions (Key Client management, Marketing & Campaigns and Communications, Pitch Excellence & Pursuits, Pricing Excellence etc.) to ensure the Singapore office's media engagement, proposal preparation and pitch training for lawyers, pricing options and alternative fee arrangements strategies align with the requirements of the business as well as global best practice.
- Work with our BDMC End-to-End Services teams and Specialist functions (Marketing Services; Directories, Awards and League Tables; Event Management; others) around production needs including proposal and communications templates; marketing material, campaigns and channels; roll-out of branding communications and advertising; managing submissions for awards, league tables and directories; and event requirements.
Travel in this role will not be frequent. Some travel to AP locations for regional meetings, training, strategy meetings may be required. Travel to other JAO offices - including Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam and Hong Kong will be likely.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent qualification / experience focusing on Marketing, Communications, Sales or related commercial subjects
- Experience of team leadership in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment
- Experience working with and influencing senior stakeholders for strategic business outcomes
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-reasoned independent decisions
- Advanced understanding of business development, marketing and communications
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude and team spirit
- High degree of attention to detail and excellent project management skills
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
Know how, e.g.,
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
Personal Impact, e.g.,
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.