About the role
The Global Client Pursuits (GCP) team in AP requires strong senior managers with excellent panels and bids experience, the gravitas to influence partners and lead key client pitch processes, as well as be a role model for team members, collaborating and sharing best practice, engaging in process development, training and coaching.
The senior manager will become a permanent member of the high performing team of pitch professionals in AP who manage the firm's most strategic, pitches and panels for key clients and regional pursuits.
Pitches are high value, multijurisdictional (generally global) and multi-practice. Between managing large panels and complex pursuits there is also a requirement to manage or oversee the management of "BAU standard" proposals working with more junior team members in collaboration with BDMC colleagues.
The team is part of the global GCP team which is undergoing a dynamic transformation and works with regional expert teams in EMEA and NA and "follow the sun" shared service centers in Manila, Tampa and Buenos Aires.
- Serve as the lead managing winning panels and proposals for key clients from start to finish (writing and project management).
- Proactively develop and manage client-centric key messages/content and marshal resources to ensure that winning proposals of superior quality are delivered on time.
- Influence and guide partners to deploy best practice approaches to proposals from opportunity assessments to bid documentation to presentation coaching.
- Provide coaching/training for partners, lawyers and BDMC professionals around all aspects of pitch and presentation best practice.
- Conduct post-pitch debrief meetings feeding back key points to the business to facilitate further learning and development.
- Create detailed briefs and provide coaching for center-based team members to produce fit-for-purpose draft proposals and formatting/design requests leveraging pitch content automation technology and the Service Now tool.
- Coach, train, develop and oversee more junior team members.
- Become deeply familiar with the Baker resources and team, leveraging the proposal process for bids/pitches and panel proposals for high value and key client opportunities.
- Team with GCP colleagues worldwide (within AP across our other regional hubs in NA and EMEA) to deliver on pitches where needed following the sun and sharing best practice.
- Take responsibility for best practice sessions and writing thought leadership as well as providing input into the Baker World intranet pages.
- Collaborate with BDMC professionals worldwide including client managers, industry and practice group BDMs and in-market BDMs to leverage client intelligence, practice and industry know how, case studies and credentials.
- Engage with other Professional Services teams e.g. pricing strategy, legal project management and knowledge to deliver profitable and added value solutions.
Candidate's technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor's degree
- Extensive experience in BD/ communications in the professional services, with significant hands-on experience in proposal development and exemplary project management skills
- Organisational skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills to manage remote teams of lawyers and BDMC professionals
- Persuasive and diplomacy skills; ability to deal autonomously with highly intelligent and demanding internal clients at all levels; manage multiple requests for support, assess opportunities and provide direction
- Client service focus, flexibility, can-do attitude; motivated and enthusiastic; personal drive and energy
- Gravitas to train groups of partners or senior members of the Firm
- Serve as a role model for all team members