To be responsible for a portfolio of APAC Regional Key Clients and one Industry Key Client, which together form part of the Firm’s established Key Client Program. Working in conjunction with the Lead Relationship Partners and Client Service Directors, this is a client-facing role that involves managing the account and driving business development in line with the goals of the client team. It is a client-facing role that involves driving business development in line with the goals of the client team.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the portfolio of the assigned Key Clients and the industries in which they operate
- Continuously assess how the Firm is facing the client organization, at what level and in what areas and determine what relationships need to be protected/strengthened/explored/exploited further in order to grow profitable revenues - including relationships you can personally own/lead
- Develop and drive the implementation of the client plan and associated tactical actions in conjunction with the Relationship Partners
- Challenge and coach Partners and lawyers on pursuits, networking and day-to-day BD activities
- Act as a conduit between the client and the client team to:
- facilitate introductions
- undertake client feedback
- shape agendas, organize and attend client meetings
- manage secondments
- Prepare external and internal client reports and communications, including some data analysis
- Conduct pre- and post-secondment briefings and ensure that client secondments are fully exploited
- Lead panel pitches and tenders (with Expert Pitch & Pursuit function) and providing necessary guidance and input into local office and practice-specific pitches
- Manage and administer client budget spend
- Act as the key point of contact for internal queries, and serve as the client's ambassador within the Firm
There may be 2-4 trips required each year to arrange and attend client meetings at a number of regional and Firm-wide partner meetings. Travel throughout the region to visit partners and clients may also be needed.
About The Team
The BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
The role will report to the Senior Client Manager - APAC.
The key relationships of this role are with the following:
- Relationship Partners / CSDs for relevant clients
- Global Industry Group Manager for relevant industries
- Expert and In-Market BDMC colleagues.
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters or other qualifications focusing on Marketing, Communications, Sales or related commercial subjects is preferred
- Significant experience working in a professional services or financial services environment, with strong experience in a Client Relationship Manager role
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills and outstanding attention to detail
- A high level of commercial acumen and strong analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to successfully manage key internal and external relationships and projects across the global organization
- Savvy in understanding and adapting to the expectations and the needs of different cultures across the Firm
- Ability to readjust and reorganize plans and deal and manage change
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
About Baker McKenzie
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.