To lead the proposal process for bids/pitches and panel proposals on key client and high value opportunities involving Hong Kong partners. Work entails collaborating with partners and in-market teams across the Asia offices.
Pitch and proposals best practice, coach lawyers and BDMC colleagues, manage project and strategy of pitch and pursuits process.
Mainly office based; occasional travel
About the Team
The BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice
This role will report to the Head of Business Development, Hong Kong.
The key relationships of this role are with the Partners, lawyers, Business Development/Marketing/Communications colleagues, Pitch Production Center, Professional Business Services colleagues including Pricing, Legal Project Management, Finance, Human Resources and Knowledge Management.
About The Candidate
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
Qualifications and experience
- A degree (Bachelor or higher) preferably in business administration, language studies, sales or marketing
- At least two years of experience in BD/communications in the professional services, with significant hands on experience in proposal development
- Excellent proficiency in spoken and written English
- Organisation, project management, and ability to handle multiple projects on tight deadlines simultaneously
- Interpersonal skills to work/lead in remote teams of partners, lawyers and BD/marketing professionals
- Persuasive and diplomacy skills and ability to deal autonomously with highly intelligent and demanding internal clients at all levels
- Client service focus, flexibility, can-do attitude; motivated and enthusiastic; personal drive and energy
- Lead the proposal process for bids/pitches and panel proposals for high value and key client opportunities led by Hong Kong or other offices in Asia primarily
- Ensure implementation of pitches and proposals best practice and manage projects and the strategy of Pitch & Pursuit process
- Prepare, coordinate and finalise customized/targeted pitches and RFPs working closely with in-market BDMC teams
- Proactively develop and manage key content and marshal resources to ensure that proposals of superior quality are delivered on time
- Provide coaching/training for partners, lawyers and BD/marketing professionals around all aspects of pitch best practice
- Conduct tender debrief meetings feeding back key points to the business to facilitate further learning and development
- Consistent follow up post-pitch to ensure accurate and timely reporting in of pitch wins/losses
- Work with partners to rigorously assess proposal opportunities, help partners to decline opportunities that are not in line with the firm strategy, and assemble teams and resources to respond quickly and effectively to those opportunities we do pursue
- Proactively develop and manage key messages/content and marshal resources to ensure that proposals of superior quality are delivered on time
- Develop best practices; develop and deliver training to regional teams including practice groups, BD teams, partner/staff meetings
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
About Baker McKenzie
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.