We have various openings in the Hong Kong M&A practice group. We are looking for highly qualified and experienced lawyers as well as junior lawyers with international interests who have diverse backgrounds and experience. We value people with a "client-first" mindset, excellent communications skills, an appreciation for cultural differences and ability to work effectively as team players.
Responsibilities and exposure:
- Perform and lead due diligence reviews
- Draft, review and negotiate legal documentation
- Prepare and manage closing deliverables
- Attend to closing and post-closing matters, including post-acquisition integration
- Interact with clients, counter-parties (and counsels) and other advisors
- Identify and advise on deal structure, general corporate matters (including entity set-up), legal and regulatory issues, work with specialist teams where applicable
- Project management – from pitching, fee proposal to management of matter
Our Client Base
We have more than 40 years of corporate/M&A experience in China and Hong Kong, and have accumulated in-depth knowledge of Chinese laws and practice. Our established M&A team has track record of advising on M&A transactions relating to private and public listed companies including the domestic and overseas activities. In China, we also have extensive experience in assisting Chinese companies and State-owned enterprises to invest aboard. We regularly represent clients from a range of industry sectors, including energy / natural resources, technology, media and communications, real estate, pharmaceuticals and healthcare, financial services, insurance, food and beverage, and automotive sectors.
Recent publicly known examples include:
- Evergrande Healthcare Industry Group Limited in its investment of a 45% stake in Farraday Future, a US electric vehicle maker, for about USD 854 million.
- Sale by owners of Life-Space Group 100% of its shares to China-based BY-HEALTH Group (BY-HEALTH) for an enterprise value for Life-Space Group of up to AUD $690 million.
- Pure Group, an upmarket Hong Kong-headquartered gym chain, on its investment partnership with private equity firm FountainVest Partners and Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan.
- Tencent’s investment in Ubisoft during Vivendi’s sale of its US$2.45 billion stake in Ubisoft.
- SK Group’s investment in E-Shang Redwood.
- Shanghai Jin Jiang International Hotels (Group) Company Limited, a HKSE-listed subsidiary of Jin Jiang International Holdings Company Ltd, on its acquisition of Groupe du Louvre and Louvre Hotels Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Groupe du Louvre, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Groupe du Louvre, for a consideration within a range of EUR0.96 billion to EUR1.21 billion (approximately US$1.13-$1.42 billion) from US investment firm Starwood Capital Group.
- CITIC Metal Co., Ltd. as one of the members of the Chinese consortium, in an agreement with GlencoreXstrata to acquire of all of its equity interests in the Las Bambas Copper Project in Peru for approximately USD5.85 billion. China Minmetals Corp. holds a 62.5% interest in the Chinese consortium whereas CITIC Metal holds a 15% interest, with the remaining 22.5% interest held by Guoxin International Investment Corporation.
- SEEK Limited, a leading global online employment platform, on the acquisition of 100% of the JobStreet online job recruitment business from JobStreet Corporation Berhad. We also advised SEEK Limited on the financing of the acquisition. The acquisition was made through SeekAsia Limited, in which Newscorp & Tiger Global are co-investors with SEEK.
EQT on their investment of a significant minority stake in Green Packaging, a packaging solutions company.
- Starbucks (NASDAQ: SBUX) and Chinese leading food and beverage producer Tingyi Holding Corp. (0322.HK) on commercial and licensing issues relating to their agreement to manufacture and expand the distribution of Starbucks ready-to-drink (RTD) products throughout mainland China.
- Oriental Pearl Group, a large SOE and also a PRC listed company acquired a 20% of Red5 Studios Inc., a US-gaming company. It is the first time OPG used its investment company established in Shanghai Pilot FTZ to do an outbound deal.
- Allied World Assurance Company, Ltd on its US$215 million acquisition of the Singapore and Hong Kong operations of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. The transaction significantly widens Allied World's international reach and expands its share of leading specialty businesses in key Asian markets.
- Greenland Holding Group Overseas Investment Company Limited on its acquisition and development of prime waterfront land in Danga Bay in Johor, Malaysia and the joint venture with Iskandar Waterfront Holdings Sdn Bhd.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its new venture with China Vanke Co., Ltd., the largest residential developer in China. Through this venture, CPPIB will over time invest USD250 million in the Chinese residential market.
- Yue Xiu Enterprises (Holdings) Limited on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Chong Hing Bank Limited by way of a partial offer. The total consideration for the partial offer was approximately HK$11.64 billion. The transaction won the M&A Deal of the Year 2014 by China Law & Practice Awards.
- CSR Corporation Limited on the US$26 billion merger with China CNR Corporation Limited. The subsisting entity adopted a new company name, CRRC Corporation Limited, and owns all the assets of the two companies. China CNR will delist from the Hong Kong and Shanghai Stock Exchanges. This transaction is ranked as the second largest M&A deal in Asia Pacific for 2014 by Bloomberg.
- Tencent Holdings Limited, the largest internet group in China, on its disposal of 35,298,057 shares in Kingsoft Corporation Limited (a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange) to Xiaomi Corporation at a consideration of approximately HK$527 million.
- China Gas Holdings Limited, China's leading piped-gas operator, on its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Beijing Gas Development Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Beijing Gas Group under Beijing Enterprises for approximately HKD2.064 billion.
- Link Management Ltd as manager of The Link Real Estate Investment Trust, on The Link REIT's successful bid for Government land through a joint venture with Nan Fung, for HK$5.86 billion. The land is situated in Kwun Tong, Kowloon, and has a site area of approximately 6,843 square metres. The joint venture (held by The Link REIT with a 60% share and Nan Fung with 40%) intends to develop the land into a Grade-A office commercial complex comprising two office towers with retail elements and car-parks.
- Wheelock Properties Limited, a Hong Kong-based real estate development and management firm, on its landmark US$699.86 million sale of the East Tower at One Bay East, Kowloon East to leading global banking and financial corporation Citi. According to market analysts, the deal marks the largest single office tower sale and purchase transaction in Hong Kong to date.
- Sino-Ocean Land Holdings Limited on its joint venture investment (with initial investment amount of approximately HK$1.3 billion) with Nan Fung International Holdings Limited in the development of MTRC Lohas Park Package Six Property Development (located in Tseung Kwan O) on a 40/60 basis.
Recent Awards and Recognition
- Tier 1 Law Firm for M&A (Hong Kong) – IFLR 1000 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Leading law firm for Corporate (including M&A) – Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Band 1 Law firm for Corporate/M&A : Highly Regarded (China/Hong Kong) - Chambers Asia 2015, 2017, 2018
- Leading Law firm for Corporate/M&A: The Elite (China/Hong Kong) – Chambers Asia 2013, 2014, 2016
What are we looking for
Education: Law degree
Legal experience level:
- 1-3 years (Junior level)
- 4-6 years PQE (Mid Level)
- 6+ years PQE (Senior Associate, Counsel, Junior Partner)
- Experience in private M&A
- Experience with PRC legal issues and transactions a plus
- Excellent drafting skills - ability to draft in Chinese preferred
- Experience with international firms is preferred
- Strong client relationship skills
- Good judgment, and ability to exercise independent decision making and act autonomously
- Able to multi task
- Strong communication skills
Languages: Fluency in English and Mandarin