The Finance department underpins Baker McKenzie's commercial decision-making. This role is within the Global Business Analytics (GBA) team, which works with the firm's management teams to help make better business decisions, often through the intelligent use of data. The team offers contextual advice and modelling to support strategic decisions and proposed operational improvements, and prototypes tools which provide enhanced management information to decision-makers. The team fulfils an "internal consultant" function to key decision-making bodies, including our Pricing and Business Development leadership and Management Committees around the globe, and engages with internal customers in an iterative manner.
The Business Analytics Executive will help provide management teams with the information and advice that enables them to make informed business decisions. The nature of this advice varies considerably over time; areas recently addressed by GBA include profiling legal markets, our practices and our competitors; assisting with client targeting efforts; developing client segmentation models; assessing service delivery models; identifying pricing opportunities; developing operational dashboards; and providing the analytical underpinning for thought leadership pieces. Our advice is grounded in our ability to marry data analysis expertise to a deep understanding of the firm's commercial environment and operational levers.
GBA's internal customers cover all management bodies including the Executive Committee, Global Business Development, Global Practice Group Steering Committees, the firm's Pricing leadership, heads of key international Alliances, and office Chief Financial Officers. The role holder will work closely with other members of Global Business Analytics and the firm's Finance and Technology teams to ensure high-class services at all levels within the organisation.
The Analyst will primarily assist the Business Analytics Manager in the three core disciplines of the Business Analytics team: strategic contextual advice, operational improvements and decision support tools. The Analyst will bring strong data manipulation skills and work-management skills and will primarily be responsible for conducting robust analyses that support projects in those disciplines. Under the guidance of the team, they will develop further skills that will help them in their future career. These will include data visualisation, commercial analysis, presentation development and consulting skills.
Duties will include:
- Conducting analysis of the firm's extensive data resources to address questions raised by the Analytics Manager or GBA's customers
- Contribution toward Thought Leadership and predictive analysis campaigns
- Developing presentations to communicate GBA's findings to internal management teams
- Use of data visualisation software to develop self-updating dashboards, helping to drive more effective decision-making throughout the firm
- Production of client facing dashboards in collaboration with the BD team to help showcase value add activities and investments made
- Desktop research using the firm's subscribed research tools as well as other external data resources, e.g. covering macroeconomic data, competitor activity, or legal market developments
- Audits to ensure the quality and consistency of analysis conducted by the team and the data resources on which it draws
- Working with offshore teams to further develop our data resources
- Advocating the use of effective decision-making techniques and efficiency-enhancing behaviours includingBusiness Analytics, Pricing, Legal Project Management and Legal AI
- Coordination and communication between the GBA team and other project participants as required
- Ad-hoc analysis in support of the firm's partners and management as required, and
- Assisting on ad hoc business development, operational or project management tasks.
Skills and Experience:
- Strong data manipulation skills. Skills and concepts which the Analyst will be expected to apply include: joins; blends; creating custom calculations; level-of-detail calculations; sequential filtering; understanding the software's order-of-operations; describing granularity of the view; creating tabular data; restructuring data into a form appropriate for the analysis; handling data with multiple periodicities; capturing clean data from primary research; describing the limits of data captured; optimising calculation and size efficiency; and preparing workbooks in an efficient manner. The Analyst will be expected to demonstrate these skills in a Tableau or similar environment prior to the conclusion of their probation period. Existing familiarity with these concepts is a significant plus;
- Ability to distil complex information into commercially relevant findings and to draw insights from complex datasets;
- Critical thinker, who is able to challenge the robustness of the story drawn from data and to suggest means of gaining more appropriate insights;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- High level of attention to detail;
- Demonstrates initiative and manages work independently;
- Engages proactively with managers to seek input and resolve risks and issues;
- Prior use of third party financial information providers - e.g. Capital IQ, Thomson Reuters, Bloomberg (Preferred);
- Engages comfortably at all levels within the organisation;
- Understanding of geopolitical and macroeconomic factors and the potential impact these may have on Baker McKenzie, the legal sector and our clients;
- Creative but with an ability to implement pragmatic solutions and complete projects;
- Collaborative, team oriented and 'Firm first' mind-set; and
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.
Baker McKenzie is a global firm and this is a global role. Subject to COVID-19 restrictions some travel may be required, in particular throughout Australia and the Asia-Pacific region. The role holder should possess a valid passport and not be subject to any major impediments to occasional international business travel. The role holder will ideally be available for occasional.
The successful candidate will show strong academic performance in an area of study conferring good familiarity with data manipulation, such as the sciences, engineering, finance/accounting, economics, computer science or business administration.
They will also show a basic understanding of law firms' commercial drivers, an ability to present data in a way relevant to those drivers, strong written and verbal presentation skills, and an ability to manage small projects under direction of the team. Experience of working in a professional services, technology or financial institution is a plus. Familiarity with common tools including Excel, PowerPoint and Tableau is preferred.