Why Baker McKenzie?
At Baker McKenzie not only do we pride ourselves on leading pay and a great culture, joining a leading Global Law firm provides unique development opportunities to grow in a highly supportive working environment throughout all stages of your life. We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this BAgile. As a highly valued employee we will also provide you with an extensive range of wellbeing, recognition & benefits offerings.
For more information on our benefits click here
Due to business growth, we currently have a exciting new opportunity for a Transfer Pricing Economist to join our Sydney tax team, on a permanent basis.
Baker McKenzie’s Tax Practice is ranked Band 1 in Tax by Chambers Global 2017 - 2022 and Band 1 in World Transfer Pricing 2020, 2021 and 2022. We act as trusted tax counsel to global multinational companies (both Australian and foreign) on their key tax risks and transactions. Baker McKenzie is growing its tax practice in Australia and is looking to recruit more associates into its Sydney based tax team.
We combine an extremely high level of Tax expertise with a collegiate culture that focuses on delivering clear, commercial and pragmatic advice.
Baker McKenzie offers associates the opportunity to work on all aspects of planning, transactions and dispute resolution. We have an experienced and well respected Sydney tax team of 4 partners and 15 senior associates and associates. We work in all areas of income tax (including corporate tax, funds taxation and ultra-high net worth individuals and families), transfer pricing, GST, stamp duty, land tax, employment taxes. We encourage our associates to develop a career path focused on their areas of interest, and offer exposure to all areas of the law. Our ability to provide integrated tax advice to our clients sets us apart from other firms in the Australian market.
Most of our work is multijurisdictional, meaning you will be regularly working with any of our 4,700 strong global legal team and clients located in Europe, Asia or the Americas. Our multidisciplinary service offering means you will be regularly working in teams with lawyers from our Corporate, Employment, Banking & Finance, Litigation, Intellectual Property and Real Estate Groups.
We have a strong culture of developing our own team. We provide both financial support and paid study leave for associates to undertake their LLM.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- minimum 1-2 years' transfer pricing experience in a top tier professional services or leading international firm preferred;
- experience in transfer pricing planning, audit management and dispute resolution;
- ability to work on all aspects of Australian and globally led transfer pricing documentation projects;
- familiarity with transfer pricing compliance and Country by Country reporting obligations;
- understanding of income tax and indirect tax concepts, particularly as they relate to core transfer pricing issues;
- completed bachelors degree in law, accountancy, economics or a related field, and commencing post graduate study such as Master of Law, Master of Taxation or CPA/CFA/CA;
- Strength in written communication and the creation of detailed reports;
- Attention to quality and detail;
- Excellent technical knowledge and skills - and the ability to combine these skills with first class communication skills and commercial awareness to provide outstanding advice to clients and
- other departments within the firm;
- First class communicator - both strong verbally and orally - and able to develop relationships with key internal stakeholders and clients with ease; and
- A "client first" mentality
About the Firm
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm.
Our application process
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
As part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.