At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global.
Right from the start, our Trainee Secretaries get involved with real work. Commencing in February 2019, our 12 month fulltime structured learning program will help you develop practical office and administrative skills through hands-on experience and by taking part in our national learning program. You will also be welcomed to attend workshops specifically designed for Secretaries and have the opportunity to take part in Firm-wide training sessions.
As a Trainee Secretary you will complete 3 four month rotations in various Practice Groups and Business Services departments, based on your preferences and business needs.
The departments you can rotate through include:
- Banking & Finance
- Commercial Real Estate
- Dispute Resolution
- Energy, Resources and Infrastructure
- Environmental Markets
- Financial Services & Funds
- Intellectual Property
- Technology, Communications & Commercial
- Corporate Services
This is an exciting opportunity for enthusiastic junior level secretaries who want to further develop their administrative skills in a global law firm environment. You will form a cohort of Trainee Secretaries that will participate in a structured learning program designed to assist you to develop your skills, with the support and mentoring of a Senior Secretary. Trainees who successfully complete the program will be eligible to continue their career with a permanent placement following their traineeship.
To be considered you must have:
- Previous experience in an administration or customer service role, ideally in a legal or corporate environment
- Completed or currently completing an Advanced Diploma of Business (Legal Practice) or equivalent qualification (preferred)
- Good communication skills and a friendly, confident phone manner
- Accurate touch typing skills (a minimum of 40 wpm)
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Professional presentation
- Ability to follow instructions and pay attention to detail
- Great initiative and the ability to work effectively in a team environment
Your duties will include (but are not limited to):
- Answering phone calls - appropriately screening calls, resolving simple queries wherever possible, taking and relaying messages promptly and, if necessary, redirecting queries
- Collecting and managing incoming/outgoing mail and correspondence
- Creating and amending typed documents such as letters, emails, memos, contracts, agreements, presentations, pitch documents
- Processing and distributing draft bills to work providers
- Opening, maintaining and closing files
- Organising travel and accommodation, conferences and functions, couriers, internal and external meetings (including room, car spaces, catering, invitations etc.)
- Organising events and social functions for the Practice Group
- Diary management for work providers
- Assisting in preparing and distributing relevant legal documentation, including photocopying and scanning
- Supporting legal staff
We are looking for enthusiastic people with a ‘can do’ attitude, high level of attention to detail and exceptional organisational and communication skills. You should be willing to take responsibility, get things done and be open to continuous feedback and learning
We have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams and be mentored by experienced senior secretaries. Join Baker McKenzie Australia and let our global reach and local strength open you to an extraordinary career.
Applications should include a cover letter detailing why you are applying for our Trainee Secretary Program, a CV with details of your work experience, your extra-curricular activities and interests, and your academic results so far. Please submit your application online at www.bakermckenzie.com/careers/australia. For more information, please contact Kathleen Blackburn on 02 8922 5255 or via email
Direct applicants only, we are not accepting applications from third party recruiters at this time.