Our Taxation practice advises domestic and international clients on all aspects of corporate, financial and commercial transactions as well as on overall taxation strategies. Our specialist lawyers have wide ranging experience acting on behalf of many of Australia's largest corporations as well as international clients. For clients requiring assistance on a global level, the group can draw on the resources of Baker McKenzie's worldwide practice and deliver a truly multi-jurisdictional approach to tax planning. Our lawyers regularly advise clients on the revenue implications of structuring investments and major acquisitions both into and out of Australia, real estate acquisitions and developments, financing and leasing transactions and corporate reorganizations.
A vital part of our practice is stamp duty planning for all matters our Firm is acting on. We have a small and very specialized group of stamp duty lawyers who provide this advice. We have extensive experience in advising financiers, vendors and purchasers on all stamp duty issues arising in purchasing and financing property developments and acquisitions. We are experienced in advising clients on the stamp duty implications of various corporate reorganizations and financing arrangements as well advising on major acquisitions from a taxation and stamp duty perspective.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Secretary with a 'can do' attitude, who are willing to seize opportunities and are excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer. This role will centre on delivering timely, efficient and high quality administrative, secretarial and practice group specific services to Partners, Associates and others across the Tax group. Duties will include; drafting/preparation of correspondence, formatting of documentation, expense and billing management, financial reporting, diary management, filing, travel bookings and general administration duties.
Skills and Experience Required
- Answering the phone - appropriately screening calls, resolving simple queries wherever possible, taking and relaying messages promptly and, if necessary, redirecting queries;
- Creating and amending typed documents such as letters, emails, memos, contracts agreements, presentations and pitch documents, using version control and track changes;
- Managing monthly billing processes and specific client invoicing requirements, including drafting and circulating invoices, distributing invoices to clients and necessary weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting responsibilities for key clients;
- Supporting the client matter intake process;
- Processing expense claims and cheque requisitions;
- Undertaking conflict searching;
- Time entry - production of narratives, creation of glossaries, etc;
- Screening and organizing correspondence (with voicemail, email, and regular postal mail), in author's absence and as per requests;
- Working directly with clients, developing and maintaining relationships, and assisting with business development activities;
- Organizing couriers, conferences and functions, travel and accommodation, internal and external meetings (including room, car spaces, catering, invitations etc) for authors;
- Assisting with client events and social functions for the Practice Group;
- Managing authors' calendars and schedules and keeping informed about authors' whereabouts at all times;
- Assisting in preparing and distributing relevant documentation to authors prior to critical dates (e.g. meetings, court proceedings, settlements etc.);
- Identifying, opening, generating, maintaining, labelling, updating and closing files, according to task, author and the Firm's requirements; and
- Managing various ongoing projects as required
The successful candidate will have:
- Previous experience in a similar role, ideally in a law firm or professional services environment supporting multiple fee earners;
- A minimum typing speed of 50 wpm (90% accuracy rate);
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel;
- Excellent customer service and client relationship skills;
- Experience using SAP would be viewed extremely highly; and
- An Advanced Diploma of Business (Legal Practice) or equivalent qualification is desirable.
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm.
At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 77 locations across 47 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds - people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
If you are self-motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Kathleen Blackburn, Talent Management Coordinator on 02 8922 5255.