At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 77 locations across 47 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds - people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm.
Baker McKenzie's Australian Environmental Markets practice brings together its more traditional environment and planning law practice with its climate change, carbon markets and water practices to form a dedicated Environmental Markets practice group. This Group reflects what we believe is the future of the way in which environmental issues will be regulated and is more effective of the approach that many of our clients (notably investment banks and market players) are taking.
We continue to offer clients traditional environmental and planning law advice but also advice in relation to waste, biodiversity, forestry, agribusiness and clean energy markets. We provide both general advice to clients on the laws across all these areas, however, we also have a significant focus on transactions in the above markets.
Our Australian practice forms a key part of our Global Environmental Markets practice. It is recognized as a world leader in environmental markets and we continually play a leading role in advising clients in emerging areas such as structured carbon transactions, the post-2012 carbon markets, Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation in developing countries (REDD), Carbon Capture & Storage (CCS), green infrastructure and carbon disputes.
We are currently seeking a full time senior legal Secretary, with at least four years experience in a similar role, to join our busy market leading Environmental Markets team. Key duties will include:
- Answering the phone - appropriately screening calls, resolving simple queries wherever possible, taking and relaying messages promptly and, if necessary, redirecting queries;
- Creating and amending typed documents such as letters, emails, memos, contracts agreements, presentations and pitch documents, using version control and track changes;
- Managing monthly billing processes and specific client invoicing requirements, including drafting and circulating invoices, distributing invoices to clients and necessary weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting responsibilities for key clients;
- Supporting the client matter intake process;
- Processing expense claims and cheque requisitions;
- Undertaking conflict searching;
- Time entry - production of narratives, creation of glossaries, etc;
- Screening and organizing correspondence (with voicemail, email, and regular postal mail), in author's absence and as per requests;
- Working directly with clients, developing and maintaining relationships, and assisting with business development activities;
- Organizing couriers, conferences and functions, travel and accommodation, internal and external meetings (including room, car spaces, catering, invitations etc) for authors;
- Assisting with client events and social functions for the Practice Group;
- Managing authors' calendars and schedules and keeping informed about authors' whereabouts at all times;
- Assisting in preparing and distributing relevant documentation to authors prior to critical dates (e.g. meetings, court proceedings, settlements etc.);
- Identifying, opening, generating, maintaining, labelling, updating and closing files, according to task, author and the Firm's requirements; and
- Managing various ongoing projects as required
Skills and Experience Required
- Previous experience in a similar role, ideally in a law firm or professional services environment supporting multiple fee earners
- A minimum typing speed of 50 wpm (90% accuracy rate)
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent customer service and client relationship skills
- SAP experience (preferred but not required)
- InterAction experience (preferred but not required)
- An Advanced Diploma of Business (Legal Practice) or equivalent qualification is desirable
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, and marital and parental status may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm.
We believe that diversity within the Firm makes us stronger, and that an inclusive workplace will enable our talented workforce to achieve their potential. We celebrate differences, and all of our people are expected to create and maintain an open and supportive culture for everyone.
We welcome applications from all candidates, and male candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
If you are self motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Kathleen Blackburn, Talent Management Coordinator, +61 2 8922 5255.