Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm
At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 47 countries.
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are currently seeking a Secretarial Services Manager to manage the provision of secretarial resource for the Firm's Australian offices, which comprises of Secretarial Services and Document Production; take responsibility for the quality of all secretarial and administrative support services, the efficiency of processes and working methods, and also the value and cost of these services and putting in place initiatives to optimise this value over time.
- Lead and develop the structure, operations, quality and value of the secretarial services team in the Office and manage the team as a "business operation" serving internal clients to an agreed scope of work, service level, quality and cost
- Ensure the highest quality and efficiency of secretarial and administrative processes and working methods
- Develop an annual business plan for the secretarial services team, including ratios (current and desired); headcount (current and planned); cost analysis etc.
- Review secretarial and administrative services and make recommendations to the Operations Director to implement and drive changes as required
- Manage the annual budget process and operate within that budget and flag any overspend/investment needed
- Act as a conduit between the Practice Groups and Professional & Business Services (PBS) functions to facilitate key administrative processes that impact on the Secretarial Services team
- Regularly review the structure and workload across the practice groups and make recommendations around headcount needs, working effectiveness and skill levels within the context of the budget and market trends and technology impact
- Undertake ad hoc projects when required, supporting the introduction of new processes, structures or technology through communications, training etc
- Oversee the secretarial graduate program
- Work with the Learning & Leadership team to develop a Learning & Development plan for the secretarial services team as well as the career structure and overall organisational structure required for the function
- Work closely with the Recruitment team to manage the recruitment & selection of Secretaries and advise on appropriate appointments
- Manage the evaluation and salary review process for Secretarial Services in line with Firm guidelines
- Ensure strong performance is recognised and rewarded, proactively manage low/under performance and handle employee issues with sensitivity
- Align the Secretarial Services team with the Firm's strategy, goals, and objectives, as well as its policies and procedures
- Experience of developing or enhancing the quality/delivery of secretarial services
- Strong team leadership and management experience, ideally in a professional services environment
- Experience of leading and managing a functional area of business (e.g. secretarial services, operations etc.) is desirable
- Performance Management and Employee Relations experience
- Strong numerical, analytical and written skills
- Good working knowledge of IT systems and software packages
- Demonstrable understanding of working within a partnership structure
- Strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills with the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels across the Firm
- High levels of proactivity and a 'can-do' attitude
- Good presentation skills and the ability to adapt and evolve to internal and market changes
- Team-orientated, proactive and able to change direction quickly to meet the dynamic needs of the Firm and its clients
- Proven ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-reasoned independent decisions
- Respects and embraces the multicultural diversity of the Firm.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, and marital and parental status may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm. Our unique international culture is reflected in the drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people - regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age - to fulfill their professional aspirations with us.
We believe that diversity within the firm makes us stronger, and that an inclusive workplace will enable our talented workforce to achieve their potential. We celebrate differences, and all of our people are expected to create and maintain an open and supportive culture for everyone.
If you are self motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Simone Walsh, Senior Manager, Talent Management, 02 8922 5545.