Our multi-disciplinary Taxation practice, comprised of professionals drawn from legal, accounting and economic backgrounds, advises domestic and international clients on all aspects of corporate, financial and commercial transactions as well as on overall taxation strategies, including transfer pricing and controversy. Our specialist team has wide ranging experience acting on behalf of many of Australia’s largest corporations as well as major global multinationals. For clients requiring assistance on a global level, the group can draw on the resources of Baker McKenzie’s worldwide practice and deliver a truly multi-jurisdictional approach. Our lawyers regularly advise clients on the tax implications of structuring investments and major acquisitions both into and out of Australia, real estate acquisitions and developments, financing and leasing transactions and corporate reorganisations, as well as managing new tax developments and controversy.
Further information can be found on the external Baker McKenzie Taxation website.
We are currently looking to recruit an Associate with 2-4 years PQE to focus on either Corporate Tax, Indirect Tax (GST/Stamp Duty) and/or Transfer Pricing.
Skills and Experience Required
- Is recognized as a technical expert in one or more of the areas of corporate tax, indirect tax (GST / stamp duty) and transfer pricing
- Has strong academic qualifications
- Has supervisory experience regarding the ongoing management of clients and the discharge of matters
- Has 2-4 years' law experience (or as an economist if applying for a transfer pricing role), in a top tier environment
- Excellent communication skills - both oral and written
- Able to demonstrate initiative and proactivity
- Strong service orientation, including the ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship
- Ability to manage a number of tasks simultaneously to be able to prioritise and manage the expectations of clients and work providers accordingly
- High work standards and excellent analytical, communication and research skills - to contribute to the delivery of prompt and commercially astute advice
- Strong team player - to facilitate effective teamwork by developing strong internal relationships
- Enthusiasm to be involved in business development activities - participating in industry related programs and developing strategic relationships and network
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm
At Baker & McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 77 locations across 47 countries.
Baker & McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, and marital and parental status may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm.
We believe that diversity within the firm makes us stronger, and that an inclusive workplace will enable our talented workforce to achieve their potential. We celebrate differences, and all of our people are expected to create and maintain an open and supportive culture for everyone.
If you are self motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Suzan Wilkinson, Talent Management Consultant, 02 8922 5505.