Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm.
At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 47 countries.
Baker McKenzie has the world's pre-eminent global Intellectual Property practice. Our IP practice in Australia is recognised as a leader in the field. It is an integral part of the Firm's IP network both globally and in the Asia Pacific region.
Our team covers all aspects of the protection, exploitation and enforcement of IP rights, including anti-counterfeiting. We regularly conduct litigation for market-leading clients across a wide range of industries, and every day brings fresh challenges for our specialist IP disputes lawyers. Members of the IP Tech Group have a wide range of skills including litigation, commercial, transactional and regulatory work plus more specialised skills in areas such as trade mark registration, distribution and agency arrangements, franchising and privacy. Areas of expertise include brand strategy, IP litigation, digital copyright, government procurement, defence contracting, pharma, defamation and telco infrastructure.
Our IP disputes practice covers "crown jewels" litigation as well as anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy actions. We also operate the largest trade mark portfolio practice of any law firm in Australia for many of the world's most famous brand owners. We handle complex trade marks, copyright, patent, design, trade secrets and trade practices disputes and associated advisory work, and also act in a wide range of IP-related transactions.
Our clients cover a range of industry sectors including healthcare; information technology and electronics; media and education; apparel, cosmetics and fashion; food and beverage; motor vehicles; and finance.
We are currently seeking a hard working Secretary with at least 2 years experience in a similar fast paced role supporting multiple fee earners.
This role will centre on delivering timely, efficient and high quality administrative, secretarial and practice group specific services to Partners, associates and others across the IP Tech group. Duties will include; drafting/preparation of correspondence, formatting of documentation, expense and billing management, financial reporting, diary management, filing, travel bookings and general administration duties.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Answering the phone – appropriately screening calls, resolving simple queries wherever possible, taking and relaying messages promptly and, if necessary, redirecting queries
- Creating and amending typed documents such as letters, emails, memos, contracts, agreements, presentations and pitch documents
- Amending due diligence templates, using version control and track changes
- Managing monthly billing processes and specific client invoicing requirements, including drafting and circulating invoices, distributing invoices to clients and necessary weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting responsibilities for key clients
- Supporting the client matter intake process
- Processing expense claims and cheque requisitions
- Undertaking conflict searching
- Time entry - production of narratives, creation of glossaries, etc.
- Screening and organising correspondence (with voicemail, email, and regular postal mail), in authors’ absence and as per requests
- Working directly with clients, developing and maintaining relationships, and assisting with business development activities
- Organising couriers, conferences and functions, travel and accommodation, internal and external meetings (including room, car spaces, catering, invitations etc) for authors
- Assisting with client events and social functions for the Practice Group
- Managing authors' calendars and schedules and keeping informed about authors whereabouts at all times
- Assisting in preparing and distributing relevant documentation to authors prior to critical dates (e.g. meetings, court proceedings, settlements etc.)
- Identifying, opening, generating, maintaining, labelling, updating and closing files, according to task, author and the Firm’s requirements
- Managing various ongoing projects
The successful candidate will have:
- Previous experience in a similar role, ideally in a law firm or professional services environment supporting multiple fee earners
- Previous experience working in IP (highly regarded)
- A minimum typing speed of 50 wpm (90% accuracy rate)
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Excellent customer service and client relationship skills
- Experience using SAP would be viewed extremely highly
- An Advanced Diploma of Business (Legal Practice) or equivalent qualification is desirable.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, carer status and working style may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm. As part of our inclusive culture, we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Our bAgile program encourages a range of flexible work opportunities for all. We invite you to let us know of any reasonable adjustments you require to equitably participate in the recruitment process or in performing the requirements of this role.
We welcome applications from all candidates, and male candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
If you are self-motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion or further information please contact Kathleen Blackburn, Talent Management Advisor, on 02 8922 5255.