We are currently looking for a full-time Secretary with 2 years' experience to join our Float team in Melbourne. Our Secretaries provide timely, efficient and high quality secretarial and administrative support to lawyers and other work providers. This is a 12 month contract position.
Key Duties of the role include but are not limited to:
- Cover for absences within the firm by providing administrative and secretarial support to allocated Practice Groups.
- Relocate to cover the various positions allocated to across the firm and work for various Partners and Authors on either long term or short term assignments.
- Answering the phone – appropriately screening calls, resolving simple queries wherever possible, taking and relaying messages promptly and, if necessary, redirecting queries.
- Creating and amending typed documents such as letters, emails, memos, contracts, agreements, presentations and pitch documents, using version control and track changes.
- Managing monthly billing processes and specific client invoicing requirements, including drafting and circulating invoices, distributing invoices to clients and necessary weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting responsibilities for key clients.
- Supporting the client matter intake process.
- Processing expense claims and cheque requisitions.
- Undertaking conflict searching.
- Screening and organising correspondence (with voicemail, email, and regular postal mail), in authors’ absence and as per requests.
- Working directly with clients, developing and maintaining relationships, and assisting with business development activities.
- Organising couriers, conferences and functions, travel and accommodation, internal and external meetings (including room, car spaces, catering, invitations etc.) for authors.
- Managing authors' calendars and schedules and keeping informed about authors' whereabouts at all times.
- Identifying, opening, generating, maintaining, labelling, updating and closing files, according to task, author and the Firm's requirements.
- Ad hoc tasks as requested.
Qualifications & Experience
Our ideal candidate would have:
- Previous experience in a similar role, ideally in a law firm or professional services environment supporting multiple fee earners;
- Solid billing experience;
- A minimum typing speed of 50 wpm (90% accuracy rate);
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Excellent customer service and client relationship skills;
- SAP experience (preferred but not required); and
- An Advanced Diploma of Business (Legal Practice) or equivalent qualification is desirable.
- ability to work well in a team environment (including across Australian offices and internationally);
- willingness to learn; and
- willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences.
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm.
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, carer status and working style may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm. As part of our inclusive culture, we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Baker McKenzie provides information and support relating to the recruitment process for transgender and gender diverse candidates. Please let us know if you would like to receive this additional support.
Our bAgile program encourages a range of flexible work opportunities for all. We invite you to let us know of any reasonable adjustments you require to equitably participate in the recruitment process or in performing the requirements of this role.
We welcome applications from all candidates, and male candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Savannah Miles, Talent Management Coordinator, +61 3 9617 4319.