Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm
At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 47 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
The Energy, Resources, Infrastructure & Corporate Group has one of Australia's largest dedicated energy and resources teams, with experience in all Australian jurisdictions.
The depth of our energy practice allows us to advise on all facets of the energy industry including regulation, major project development and mergers and acquisitions. We have been trusted advisors to some of Australia's, and the globe's, leading power and petroleum companies. Through Baker McKenzie's market-leading Clean Energy & Renewables Group we also advise our clients on carbon offsets and trades, as well as clean energy projects.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated Secretary with experience working in a fast paced environment to join our Energy, Resources, Infrastructure & Corporate team. This is a part time role and the successful candidate will be working 2 days per week in a well-established job share arrangement. This role will primarily centre on delivering timely, efficient and high quality administrative, secretarial and practice group specific services to Partners and Associates in the team.
Skills and Experience Required
Duties will include; drafting/preparation of correspondence, formatting of documentation, expense and billing management, financial reporting, diary management, filing, travel bookings and general administration duties. More specifically, this will involve:
- Answering the phone – appropriately screening calls, resolving simple queries wherever possible, taking and relaying messages promptly and, if necessary, redirecting queries
- Creating and amending typed documents such as letters, emails, memos, contracts, agreements, presentations and pitch documents, using version control and track changes
- Managing monthly billing processes and specific client invoicing requirements, including drafting and circulating invoices, distributing invoices to clients and necessary weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting responsibilities for key clients
- Supporting the client matter intake process
- Processing expense claims and cheque requisitions
- Undertaking conflict searching
- Time entry - production of narratives, creation of glossaries, etc.
- Screening and organising correspondence (with voicemail, email, and regular postal mail), in authors’ absence and as per requests
- Working directly with clients, developing and maintaining relationships, and assisting with business development activities
- Organising couriers, conferences and functions, travel and accommodation, internal and external meetings (including room, car spaces, catering, invitations etc) for authors
- Assisting with client events and social functions for the Practice Group
- Managing authors' calendars and schedules and keeping informed about authors' whereabouts at all times
- Assisting in preparing and distributing relevant documentation to authors prior to critical dates (e.g. meetings, court proceedings, settlements etc.)
- Identifying, opening, generating, maintaining, labelling, updating and closing files, according to task, author and the Firm’s requirements
- Managing various ongoing projects as required
The successful candidate will have:
- Previous experience in a similar role, ideally in a law firm or professional services environment supporting multiple fee earners
- A minimum typing speed of 50 wpm (90% accuracy rate)
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent customer service and client relationship skills
- SAP experience (preferred but not required)
- An Advanced Diploma of Business (Legal Practice) or equivalent qualification is desirable
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, and marital and parental status may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm.
We believe that diversity within the Firm makes us stronger, and that an inclusive workplace will enable our talented workforce to achieve their potential. We celebrate differences, and all of our people are expected to create and maintain an open and supportive culture for everyone.
We welcome applications from all candidates, and male candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
If you are self motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Kathleen Blackburn, Talent Management Advisor on 02 8922 5255.