Why Baker McKenzie?
At Baker McKenzie not only do we pride ourselves on leading pay and a great culture, joining a leading Global Law firm provides unique development opportunities to grow in a highly supportive working environment throughout all stages of your life. We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this BAgile. As a highly valued employee we will also provide you with an extensive range of wellbeing, recognition & benefits offerings.
For more information on our benefits click here
This role will centre on delivering timely, efficient and high quality administrative, secretarial and practice group specific services to partners, associates and others across the Dispute Resolution, Insolvency & Employment practice group.
- Managing high volume monthly billing processes, financial reporting and specific client invoice requirements, including drafting and circulating invoices, distributing invoices to clients and necessary weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting responsibilities for key clients
- Answering the phone – appropriately screening calls, resolving simple queries wherever possible, taking and relaying messages promptly and, if necessary, redirecting queries
- Creating, drafting, editing and formatting a range of legal correspondence and documents, presentations and pitch documents, using version control and track changes
- Supporting the client matter intake process
- Reconciling expenses
- Undertaking conflict searching
- Time entry - production of narratives, creation of glossaries, etc.
- Screening and organising correspondence (with voicemail, email, and regular postal mail), in authors’ absence and as per requests
- Working directly with clients, developing and maintaining relationships, and assisting with business development activities
- Organising couriers, conferences and functions, travel and accommodation, internal and external meetings (including room, car spaces, catering, invitations etc) for authors
- Assisting with client events and social functions for the Practice Group
- Managing authors' calendars and schedules and keeping informed about authors' whereabouts at all times
- Assisting in preparing and distributing relevant documentation to authors prior to critical dates (e.g. meetings, court proceedings, settlements etc.)
- Identifying, opening, generating, maintaining, labelling, updating and closing files, according to task, author and the Firm’s requirements
- Managing various ongoing projects as required
What we're looking for -
Our ideal candidate would have:
- Previous experience in a similar role, ideally in a law firm or professional services environment supporting multiple fee earners
- A minimum typing speed of 50 wpm (90% accuracy rate)
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent customer service and client relationship skills
- SAP experience (preferred but not required)
- An Advanced Diploma of Business (Legal Practice) or equivalent qualification is desirable
About the team
The Employment group is a highly active area of our Australian practice. Our employment lawyers advise on all aspects of employment law including employment contracts, negotiations and disputes with trade unions, anti-discrimination suits and occupational health and safety. Conducting litigation on behalf of clients is also a key area of the practice. Although the practice primarily acts for employer and employer organizations, our lawyers have also been involved in disputation with union organizations and individual employees.
About the Firm
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm.
Our application process
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
As part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.