Why Baker McKenzie?
At Baker McKenzie not only do we pride ourselves on leading pay and a great culture, joining a leading Global Law firm provides unique development opportunities to grow in a highly supportive working environment throughout all stages of your life. We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this BAgile. As a highly valued employee we will also provide you with an extensive range of wellbeing, recognition & benefits offerings.
For more information on our benefits click here
We are seeking an experienced legal Secretary to join our Restructuring & Insolvency team (which sits in the Dispute Resolution group). This role will centre on delivering timely, efficient and high quality administrative, secretarial and practice group specific services to two Partners, Associates and others.
Key Duties of the role include but not limited to:
- Answering the phone - appropriately screening calls, resolving simple queries wherever possible, taking and relaying messages promptly, and, if necessary, redirecting queries
- Creating and amending typed documents such as letters, emails, memos, contracts, agreements, presentations and pitch documents, using version control and track changes
- Managing monthly billing processes and specific client invoicing requirements, including drafting and circulating invoices, distributing invoices to clients and necessary weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting responsibilities for key clients
- Supporting the client matter intake process
- Processing expense claims and cheque requisitions
- Undertaking conflict searching
- Time entry - production of narratives, creation of glossaries, etc.
- Screening and organising correspondence (with voicemail, email, and regular postal mail), in authors’ absence and as per requests
- Supporting the Restructuring & Insolvency sub-group including in setting up team meetings and events and managing expenses
- Working directly with clients, developing and maintaining relationships, and assisting with business development activities
- Organising couriers, conferences and functions, travel and accommodation, internal and external meetings (including room, car spaces, catering, invitations etc) for authors
- Assisting with the organising and conduct of client events, meetings and social functions for the Practice Group
- Managing authors' calendars and schedules and keeping informed about authors' whereabouts at all time
- Assisting in preparing and distributing relevant documentation to authors prior to critical dates (e.g. meetings, court proceedings, settlements etc.)
- Identifying, opening, generating, maintaining, labelling, updating and closing files, according to task, author and the Firm’s requirements
- Managing various ongoing projects as required
What we're looking for -
Our ideal candidate would have:
- Previous experience in a similar role, ideally in a law firm or professional services environment supporting partners with substantial practices and multiple fee earners;
- Litigation and court forms experience;
- Experience with monthly billing process;
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- A minimum typing speed of 50 wpm (90% accuracy rate);
- Excellent computer literacy in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook email;
- Excellent customer service and client relationship skills;
- iManage and Chrome River experience preferred but not required;
- Certificate IV in Business Administration or equivalent is desirable.
About the team
Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Group is one of the Australian office's largest practice groups and has the depth of experience and accomplishment to advise and represent clients in all matters associated with complex commercial disputes.
Our specialist Restructuring & Insolvency team has an impressive track record and market reputation in many of Australia's largest and most complex restructuring transactions, formal insolvencies and adjacent litigation on a local, regional and international level.
Known for our practical, commercial advice and problem solving, as well as our cross border capability, we have the privilege of being instructed by major national and international organisations and leading insolvency practitioners in large-scale, complex restructuring and insolvency assignments, across a range of industries and disciplines.
Our experience is reflected in recent rankings, with the team recognised in Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific, Legal 500 Best Lawyers, Doyle's Guide, Who's Who Legal, and the inaugural Lawdragon 500 Leading Global Restructuring & Insolvency Lawyers listing for 2020.
Baker McKenzie is proudly one of INSOL International's G36 firms, and a platinum sponsorship of the Turnaround Management Association in Australia, and an active participant in both organisations.
About the Firm
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm.
Our application process
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
As part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive culture, we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.