Baker McKenzie has the world's pre-eminent global Intellectual Property practice. Our IP practice in Australia is recognised as a leader in the field. It is an integral part of the Firm's IP network both globally and in the Asia Pacific region.
Our team covers all aspects of the protection, exploitation and enforcement of IP rights, including anti-counterfeiting. We regularly conduct litigation for market-leading clients across a wide range of industries, and every day brings fresh challenges for our specialist IP disputes lawyers. Members of the IP Tech Group have a wide range of skills including litigation, commercial, transactional and regulatory work plus more specialised skills in areas such as trade mark registration, distribution and agency arrangements, franchising and privacy. Areas of expertise include brand strategy, IP litigation, digital copyright, government procurement, defence contracting, pharma, defamation and telco infrastructure.
We are currently looking to recruit an Intellectual Property (Trade Mark) Trade Mark Attorney / Paralegal to provide support to a team of partners and associates. A candidate with experience in Trade Mark Law and/or qualifications as a trade mark attorney would be preferred.
Skills and Responsibilities
- Relevant and current work experience in a similar role, with particular reference to Intellectual Property and Trade Mark law
- Conducting online searches of relevant trade marks identified in clearance searches
- Reviewing/compiling specifications of goods/services
- Assisting with examination reports, including: drafting responses to clients and IP Australia regarding official actions in relation to formalities issues;
- Drafting reports to clients regarding Section 44 notifications of acceptance of 3rd party marks. assisting with large assignment recordal projects
- Assisting with large assignment recordal projects
- Preparing draft declarations, including for requests for extensions of time
- Amendments to declarations and exhibits in relation to evidence
- Assisting with assignment recordal projects for foreign marks; (including changes of name/address recordals)
- Coordination of foreign portfolios for specified clients, including billing, acknowledging receipt of emails
- Assisting lawyers with general trade mark prosecution and maintenance matters
- Provide assistance and training for trade mark support functions when required
- Strong team player
- Excellent communication skills - both oral and written
- Able to demonstrate initiative and pro-activity
- Flexible work practices and ability to adapt style as required
- Willingness to learn
- Sound IP expertise across the full range of areas above, with good commercial skills and awareness
- High work standards
- Strong service orientation
- Ability to manage a number of tasks simultaneously to be able to prioritise and manage the expectations of clients and work providers accordingly
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm
At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 47 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, and marital and parental status may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm.
We believe that diversity within the firm makes us stronger, and that an inclusive workplace will enable our talented workforce to achieve their potential. We celebrate differences, and all of our people are expected to create and maintain an open and supportive culture for everyone.
If you are self motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Angelique Wanner, Talent Management Consultant, 02 8922 5596.