Baker McKenzie has the world's pre-eminent global Intellectual Property practice. Our IP practice in Australia is recognised as a leader in the field. It is an integral part of the Firm's IP network both globally and in the Asia Pacific region.
Our team covers all aspects of the protection, exploitation and enforcement of IP rights, including anti-counterfeiting. We regularly conduct litigation for market-leading clients across a wide range of industries, and every day brings fresh challenges for our specialist IP disputes lawyers. Members of the IPTech Group have a wide range of skills including litigation, commercial, transactional and regulatory work plus more specialized skills in areas such as trade mark registration, distribution and agency arrangements, franchising and privacy. Areas of expertise include brand strategy, IP litigation, digital copyright, government procurement, defence contracting, pharma, defamation and telco infrastructure.
We are currently looking to recruit an Intellectual Property Administrator to provide support to a team of partners and associates. The IP Administrator would provide timely and accurate trade mark and designs support to the IP group.
Skills and Responsibilities
General duties will include:
- reviewing incoming IP correspondence, checking details on Global Intellectual Property Management database "GIPM" ; updating GIPM and preparing reporting emails to clients
- preparation and submission of IP correspondence with IP Australia
- assisting with cost quotes for clients as required
- archiving files
- organising systems and structures for matter management
- other IP related tasks and general support to the Trade marks team as required
- identifying and implementing process improvements
- assisting with projects as required
- Demonstrates technical and professional knowledge relevant to role.
- Understands how to get things done within Baker McKenzie and with IP Australia.
- Is able to analyse situations and information.
- Seeks feedback and takes action to improve own performance.
- Is keen to learn and develop.
- Takes personal responsibility for tasks demonstrates a proactive approach.
- Consistently produces quality work.
- Completes all tasks to a high professional standard.
- Maintains Baker McKenzie standards.
Time and Work Management
- Effectively prioritizes and manages time.
- Consistently meets deadlines.
- Assists with urgent work outside standard hours.
- Keeps Manager up to date with progress.
- Manages day to day responsibilities as well as relevant projects.
- Leverages available resources.
- Able to work under pressure and remain focused.
- Meets project deadlines or negotiates necessary changes.
- Keeps key stakeholders up to date with progress.
Attitude and Approach
- Consistently demonstrates a positive attitude and approach.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm and dedication.
- Consistently displays initiative by finding own work and assisting Manager without instruction.
- Focuses on the needs of internal and external clients/contacts where relevant.
- Builds relationships with stakeholders.
- Maintains a courteous and professional manner in all dealings.
- Able to communicate (written and verbal) effectively and clearly.
- Able to present information concisely and professionally.
- Deals with sensitive information in an appropriate manner.
- Contributes to the effective functioning of the team.
- Willing to assist team members even when busy.
- Sought by others for advice and support and sets an example.
Required experience and qualifications
- At least 2 - 3 years general administration experience, preferably in a professional services environment involving trade marks.
- Trade marks / legal support skills.
- Strong MS Office skills.
- Flexible attitude and approach to work.
- Strong work ethic.
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm
At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 47 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, carer status and working style may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm. As part of our inclusive culture, we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Our bAgile program encourages a range of flexible work opportunities for all. We invite you to let us know of any reasonable adjustments you require to equitably participate in the recruitment process or in performing the requirements of this role.
If you are self motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Angelique Wanner, Talent Management Consultant, 02 8922 5596.