Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm
At Baker & McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 47 countries.
Baker & McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
We are currently looking for a full time Float Secretary to join our team on a 12 month contract. Our float secretaries provide support to authors throughout the whole office across a range of practice areas. Floats are allocated to groups in order to cover absences, provide extra support during busy periods, and to perform other tasks throughout the business as requested.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing timely, efficient and high quality secretarial and administrative assistance to various Partners and Associates on long term and short term assignments throughout the firm. The role requires you to relocate to various groups regularly and means we need someone with the confidence to meet and work with different colleagues and clients on a daily basis. We are looking for someone with a proactive and enthusiastic approach to all work and someone who possesses a can do, helpful attitude. We want you to be an integral part of the Firm as our Float Secretaries are highly valued, and are an important part of our firm's ongoing success.
More specifically, day to day responsibilities might include:
- Answering the phone – appropriately screening calls, resolving simple queries wherever possible, taking and relaying messages promptly and, if necessary, redirecting queries
- Creating and amending typed documents such as letters, emails, memos, contracts, agreements, presentations and pitch documents, using version control and track changes
- Managing monthly billing processes and specific client invoicing requirements, including drafting and circulating invoices and distributing invoices to clients when required
- Supporting the client matter intake process
- Processing expense claims and cheque requisitions
- Undertaking conflict searching
- Time entry - production of narratives, creation of glossaries, etc.
- Screening and organising correspondence (with voicemail, email, and regular postal mail), in authors’ absence and as per requests
- Organising couriers, conferences and functions, travel and accommodation, internal and external meetings (including room, car spaces, catering, invitations etc) for authors
- Managing authors' calendars and schedules and keeping informed about authors' whereabouts at all times
- Assisting in preparing and distributing relevant documentation to authors prior to critical dates (e.g. meetings, court proceedings, settlements etc.)
- Identifying, opening, generating, maintaining, labelling, updating and closing files, according to task, author and the Firm’s requirements
- Managing various ongoing projects as required
Skills and Experience Required
- At least 2 years experience in a similar role, ideally in a law firm or professional services environment
- A minimum typing speed of 50 wpm (90% accuracy rate)
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent customer service and client relationship skills
- Excellent communication skills - both oral and written
- SAP experience (preferred but not required)
- An Advanced Diploma of Business (Legal Practice) or equivalent qualification is also desirable
If you are self motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Kathleen Blackburn, Talent Management Coordinator, 02 8922 5255.