Our national Construction Group has a deep and commercially focussed understanding of the construction industry, and of the particular interests of the various parties to any project. This has been gained through:
- acting on high profile transactions for developers, principals, governments, contractors, major subcontractors, engineering and architectural consultants as well as banks in Australia and the world; and
- working closely with a variety of other advisers on major projects which enable us to understand and address non-legal issues that arise in every project such as financial and technical issues.
We deal with risk allocation in construction contracts; minimise disputation in a fair, balanced and commercially realistic manner; and provide appropriate risk protection to the principal and contractor. We strive to deliver the required result for the project whilst managing the cost and time risks in the preparation of contract documentation.
Our diverse skills enable us to provide a complete and seamless service, ranging from entire project management to smaller scale advice work. We work closely with our taxation, corporate, property and employment law practice groups to deliver effective results for clients. With international projects, we work closely with the Baker McKenzie offices throughout the Asia Pacific region and elsewhere in the world.
Our national Construction Group provides legal services in respect to domestic and cross-border construction issues in all project types such as:
- Commercial Offices, Hotels, Retail, and Industrial;
- Major Residential;
- Engineering, Infrastructure, Transport, and Power; and
- Telecommunications, Software, and Technology
The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years post admission experience in a recognised law firm’s construction, infrastructure, energy, resources or projects practices. Construction lawyers who are currently in-house but would like to return to private practice would also be suitable.
Candidates with experience in other contract law-based practice areas such as in telecommunications/technology may also be suitable.
Skills and Knowledge Required
- flexible work practices and an ability to adapt style as required
- excellent analytical, communication and research skills - to contribute to the delivery of prompt and commercially astute advice
- strong commitment to client service and well-developed relationship management ability - you will play a role in supporting and actively developing our relationships with clients
- team focus - to facilitate effective teamwork by developing strong internal relationships
- enthusiasm to be involved in business development activities - participating in industry related programs and developing strategic relationships and networks
- first rate experience of drafting documents.
- an established ability to develop strong and effective relationships with clients
- a willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences.
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm
At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 47 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, and marital and parental status may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm.
We believe that diversity within the firm makes us stronger, and that an inclusive workplace will enable our talented workforce to achieve their potential. We celebrate differences, and all of our people are expected to create and maintain an open and supportive culture for everyone.
If you are self-motivated and excited to work in a construction team with a strong domestic practice coupled with the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Jacqui Pilgrim, National Talent Management Operations Manager, +61 3 9617 4317 or email
- 3-5 years PQE