We are seeking a Business Development Manager within our Business Development, Marketing & Communications (BDMC) team in Sydney. The role is responsible for managing the strategic focus of the In-Market operations of the Advisory Practice Groups in the Australian offices, co-ordinating the BDMC function's office resources and developing a strategic, focused, market-leading BDMC business-partnering capability. The BD Manager enables the Advisory Practice Groups in the Australia offices to win, retain, and grow business through consistently high standards, engaging thought leadership as well as strong relationship and account management.
This role will also directly support the IP Tech and Structured Assets groups and collaborate with the Contentious Practice Group.
The Firm’s BDMC function works closely with our Partners and leadership teams to:
- Increase our revenue, profitability and share across markets, industries and clients;
- Enable us to win, retain and grow business through powerful pitches, engaging thought leadership and strong relationship management;
- Lead market & client intelligence efforts to create new service line opportunities in industry and practice groups; and
- Channel the Baker McKenzie brand, identity and culture through a single communications voice.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant work experience;
- Significant experience in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment;
- Experience working with senior stakeholders and developing relationships with them;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities;
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-reasoned independent decisions;
- Advanced understanding of strategic marketing and communications;
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision;
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to influence others; and
- High degree of attention to detail.
- Help Partners to navigate the new structure, acting as their first point of contact for all BDMC needs; responsible for managing and prioritising practice group BDMC activities.
- Develop the growth plan for the Advisory Practice Groups in the Australian offices including Key Client opportunities, marketing and communications campaigns required, priority revenue generating service lines/initiatives and key events.
- Manage and lead two Industry Groups to be determined by the successful candidate's areas of interest.
- Ensure the In-Market BDMC team are clarifying and capturing BDMC requirements to a high standard such that Expert functions and End-to-End Services will be able to action them.
- Collaborate with Expert functions to challenge requests where commercially prudent, e.g. pitch go/no go decisions.
- Build and maintain close working relationships with colleagues in Expert functions and End-to-End Services to ensure practice groups are benefitting from best practice and latest thinking elsewhere in the Firm.
- Ensure we are capturing the feedback, matter experience, client contacts and business development leads to enable the practice to promote itself effectively and to grow its business.
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm.
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, carer status and working style may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm. As part of our inclusive culture, we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Our bAgile program encourages a range of flexible work opportunities for all. We invite you to let us know of any reasonable adjustments you require to equitably participate in the recruitment process or in performing the requirements of this role.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Angelique Holden, Talent Management Consultant, 02 8922 5596.