Why Baker McKenzie?
At Baker McKenzie not only do we pride ourselves on leading pay and a great culture, joining a leading Global Law firm provides unique development opportunities to grow in a highly supportive working environment throughout all stages of your life. We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this BAgile. As a highly valued employee we will also provide you with an extensive range of wellbeing, recognition & benefits offerings.
We are currently looking for an Associate with 2 to 5 years' experience to join our Transactional Practice Group in Sydney.
With almost 300 lawyers around the world, our Environmental and Climate Change Group provides unparalleled global coverage and environmental legal expertise and is recognized year-after-year as the leading environmental practice among international law firms. Our preeminent team is comprised of seasoned lawyers who have been consistently acknowledged by legal rating agencies as leaders in their field and bring decades of experience providing regulatory counsel, enforcement defense, and litigation support to clients on the wide range of environmental, climate change, and sustainability compliance and liability matters that affect their business operations. The unique combination of local expertise and international perspectives enables us to seamlessly merge our traditional environmental law practice with specialized climate change, carbon market, sustainability and product regulatory expertise to provide unrivaled legal counsel for our domestic and international clients.
What we're looking for -
Our ideal candidate would have:
- minimum 2-5 years' experience in Environment & Planning;
- relevant experience in a mid-tier, top tier or leading international firm preferred;
- experience or an interest in climate change advisory and transactional work will also be highly regarded;
- a strong client service orientation;
- strong technical, drafting and commercial skills;
- business development aptitude, interest, and experience;
- relevant legal qualifications;
- a strong academic background;
- excellent analytical, communication, and research skills;
- a commitment to high work standards and strong attention to detail;
- an ability to demonstrate initiative and proactivity;
- an ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship;
- an ability to work well in a team environment (including across Australian offices and internationally);
- a willingness to learn; and
- a willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences.
About the Firm
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm.
Our application process
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.
As part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.