Why Baker McKenzie?
At Baker McKenzie not only do we pride ourselves on leading pay and a great culture, joining a leading Global Law firm provides unique development opportunities to grow in a highly supportive working environment throughout all stages of your life. We know our people value flexibility around when and where they work. So we are committed to offering a more adaptable way to work, we call this BAgile. As a highly valued employee we will also provide you with an extensive range of wellbeing, recognition & benefits offerings.
The Practice Group
Baker & McKenzie's Intellectual Property Group advises on all aspects of the protection and exploitation of IP rights. Our Australian practice is at the forefront of advice on IP rights and is recognised as a leader in the field, with one of the largest trade mark registration practices of any law firm in the country.
Our Group advises on copyright, trade secrets, marketing issues, trading names, design registration, consumer protection, patent law and dispute resolution for a wide range of local and international clients. Regularly involved in multi-jurisdictional transactions, we are highly experienced in adapting transactions and documents from other markets for use in Australia.
We provide advice on related litigation issues such as the enforcement of trade mark rights, anti-counterfeiting, breach of confidence, copyright infringement, piracy, and breaches of competition and consumer legislation. Issues relating to consumer protection, product liability and marketing are key aspects of our practice and we have conducted some of Australia's major cases in these areas.
The group works across a wide range of industry sectors including pharmaceuticals and medical devices; information technology and electronics; media and education; apparel, cosmetics and fashion; food and beverage; motor vehicles; and financial products.
What we're looking for -
Our ideal candidate would have:
- 3-5 years' post qualification experience within IP/Trade mark Law;
- experience in trade mark search analysis and advice, filing and prosecution of applications and running opposition and removal proceedings
- a strong academic background;
- a strong client service orientation;
- strong technical, drafting and commercial skills;
- business development aptitude, interest, and experience;
- relevant legal qualifications;
- excellent analytical, communication, and research skills;
- a commitment to high work standards and strong attention to detail;
- an ability to demonstrate initiative and proactivity;
- an ability to develop strong relationships with clients.
- an ability to work well in a team environment (including across Australian offices and internationally); and
- a willingness to learn.
About the Firm
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm.
Our application process
Please apply by selecting the "apply now" link below and completing an online application form.