We are currently seeking an Associate with 3-6 years' experience in Intellectual Property (IP) litigation to join our IP Practice Group in Sydney.
Baker McKenzie has the world's pre-eminent IP practice and is the recognised leader in the Asia-Pacific region.
Our Australian practice is an integral part of the Firm's global and regional IP network and a vital contributor to the success of the worldwide IP practice.
Our Australian team advises on all aspects of the protection, exploitation and enforcement of IP rights. Our specialist IP disputes lawyers conduct litigation for market-leading clients across a wide range of industries.
Our IP disputes practice covers "crown jewels" litigation as well as anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy actions. Recent examples include cutting edge site blocking copyright litigation for the Motion Picture Association, copyright litigation for Meltwater Australia, high profile trade mark litigation for In-N-Out Burger, Taco Bell, IBM and Lion and patent litigation for LONGi and F45.
We also operate the largest trade mark portfolio practice of any law firm in Australia for many of the world's most famous brand owners. We handle complex trade mark, copyright, patent, design, trade secrets and trade practices disputes and associated advisory work, and also act in a wide range of IP-related transactions.
Our clients cover a range of industry sectors including pharmaceuticals and medical devices; information technology and electronics; media and education; apparel, cosmetics and fashion; food and beverage; motor vehicles; and finance.
Qualifications & Experience
Our ideal candidate would have:
- 3-6 years' experience, preferably from a specialised IP practice;
- experience handling advisory and contentious IP matters (including providing advice, preparing cease and desist correspondence, drafting pleadings, evidence, submissions and other court documents, and briefing counsel);
- strong academic background;
- excellent analytical, communication, and research skills;
- ability to work well in a team environment (including across Australian offices and internationally);
- relevant experience in a top tier or leading international firm preferred;
- a strong client service orientation;
- strong technical, drafting and commercial skills;
- business development aptitude, interest, and experience;
- relevant legal qualifications;
- commitment to high work standards;
- ability to demonstrate initiative and proactivity;
- ability to develop strong relationships with clients and to take responsibility for this relationship;
- willingness to learn; and
- willingness to develop others through mentoring and sharing experiences.
Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm.
At Baker McKenzie, we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 78 locations across 46 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive culture for all its employees, with equal opportunity for all to progress and have a meaningful career with our Firm. Our mission is to foster an environment where individuals of every ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, age, disability, carer status and working style may succeed professionally and fully contribute to the goals of the Firm. As part of our inclusive culture, we encourage applications from all genders, abilities and cultural backgrounds including Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Baker McKenzie provides information and support relating to the recruitment process for transgender and gender diverse candidates. Please let us know if you would like to receive this additional support.
Our bAgile program encourages a range of flexible work opportunities for all. We invite you to let us know of any reasonable adjustments you require to equitably participate in the recruitment process or in performing the requirements of this role.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Angelique Holden, Talent Management Consultant, 02 8922 5596.