Gemma is a partner and solicitor advocate in the Baker McKenzie Dispute Resolution team based in London. She joined the team in September 2008 and completed a five-month client secondment to the litigation team at Barclays Wealth in 2012.
She has been recognized for the excellence of her practice in winning the Editor's Choice Award for Outstanding Individual of the Year at the CityWealth Future Leaders Awards 2016, the Silver Award as Woman of the Year - Rising Star in the Citywealth Power Women Awards 2016, and has been listed in the Citywealth 2018 Future Leaders Top 100. Chambers cite clients who describe her as "extremely pleasant but also tough as nails," "very bright and is a joy to work with," "a walking encyclopaedia" and "incredibly talented, hard-working and a delight to be around."
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a major offshore trust company in relation to strategy and GBP 500 million litigation arising from allegations that it was invalidly appointed as trustee of many trusts.
- Acting for Bermudian trustees in relation to a section 47 application to undertake a substantial reorganization of nineteen high-value offshore trusts holding complex business assets.
- Advising an English company in construction proceedings against the trustees of a pension scheme regarding the particular inflation index to be applied to pension increases in the scheme.
- Acting for adult and minor beneficiaries of high-value UK family settlements in a successful court application to vary the terms of the trust to enable illegitimate children to benefit from the funds.
- Acting for the representative beneficiary in a pensions dispute in challenging IMG's conversion of final salary benefits to money purchase benefits, including making a successful Court of Appeal application to approve a compromise.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- STEP - Member
- Citywealth - Member
- Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS) - Member
- Solicitor-Advocate (All Higher Courts) in England and Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2008)
- Nottingham Law School (Distinction) (2006)
- Cambridge University (First [Law]) (2005)