Paul is a UK-qualified director designate in the Employment & Compensation practice who specializes in pensions law in the UK and South Africa. He also has experience in advising on pensions law in other sub-Saharan African jurisdictions. Paul is a former president of the Pension Lawyers Association of South Africa and a former member of the Legal & Technical Committee of the Institute of Retirement Funds Africa. He is currently assisting the Pension Policy Institute with a research series into climate change and ESG investing.
Paul advises pension fund trustees and employers on their pension obligations in the UK and South Africa. His practice involves:
- day-to-day advisory work, drafting of fund rules and other pensions related documentation and contract review
- pensions-related project work, such as outsourcings of pensioner liabilities and transfers from stand-alone funds to umbrella or master trust arrangements
- corporate transactions and reorganizations, including post-sale integration of benefit arrangements in multijurisdictional deals
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisting a UK financial services provider with the establishment of a multi-employer defined benefit pension plan, including advising on the legal issues and drafting the plan rules and other related documentation.
- Drafting replacement rules for the provident fund of the South African business of a multinational corporation.
- Advising a US-based employer on the closure of its UK defined benefit plan to future accrual of benefits.
- Advising a South African-based pension fund on the transfer of pensioner liabilities to a long-term insurer, including the negotiation of the policy documentation.
- Advising a UK-based client on the pensions and benefits aspects of the integration of its business with that of a joint venture partner and on the pension and benefits aspects of the separation of one of its core businesses prior to a demerger.
- Advising a Japanese-based client on the pensions aspects of a substantial multijurisdictional joint venture in which it took a majority stake, including negotiation of documentation and assisting the client with the post-sale integration steps.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pension Lawyers Association of South Africa
- Association of Pension Lawyers (UK)
- Institute of Retirement Funds Africa
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1999)
- University of Warwick (LLB) (1995)
- University of Bordeaux (Certificat en Droit Français) (1994)