Baker & McKenzie
Solicitor admitted in England & Wales
Paul is a senior associate in the Pensions Department. He advises pensions funds and has extensive experience of practice in both the UK and South Africa. He also has experience of advising on pensions law in other sub-Saharan African jurisdictions. Although based in South Africa, Paul advises clients of both the London and Johannesburg offices. He speaks regularly at conferences, particularly in South Africa and other southern African jurisdictions, is a former President of the Pension Lawyers Association of South Africa and sits on the Legal & Technical Committee of the Institute of Retirement Funds Africa.
Paul advises pension funds and their trustees, employers and financial services providers on all issues arising in the pension fund context in the UK and South Africa. His practice involves advisory and opinion work, pensions-related project work such as outsourcings of pensioner liabilities and transfers from stand-alone funds to umbrella or master trust arrangements, corporate transactions and reorganisations, drafting pension fund documentation and review of investment and other service provider agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising an employer on the conversion from defined benefit to defined contribution pension benefits and on the transfer of assets and liabilities from a stand-alone pension fund to an umbrella pension fund.
- Advising a pension fund on the transfer of pensioner liabilities to a long-term insurer, including the negotiation of the policy documentation.
- Advising an employer on the extent of its legal obligations to fund pension increases in a defined benefit fund.
- Advising pension funds on the allocation of surplus in light of the surplus legislation.
- Redrafting the rules and enabling legislation of the pension funds for public officers in a southern African jurisdiction.
- Advising an employer in a municipal pension fund in relation to a substantial claim from the fund and assisting the employer and the fund to fund a mutually acceptable future direction for the fund which would ensure its continued financial soundness.
- Advising the Government of a southern African jurisdiction on potential uses of surplus in its principal public sector fund, including its use to fund infrastructure development.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pension Lawyers Association of South Africa
- Institute of Retirement Funds Africa
- England & Wales - United Kingdom (1999)
- University of Warwick (LLB) (1995)
- University of Bordeaux (Certificat en Droit Français) (1994)