Sreenivas (Vas) Vedantam is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Dallas office, where he practices intellectual property law. Mr. Vedantam has several years of experience providing strategic legal advice and procuring patents for a range of hardware and software technologies. He was named to the Lawyers of Color Southeastern Region Hot List in 2014. Mr. Vedantam has significant experience successfully dealing with Section 101 issues for patent portfolios in areas such as electronic commerce, fintech, business management software, gaming, real estate, mobile apps, etc.
Mr. Vedantam’s practice focuses on domestic and foreign transactional patent matters and patent procurement. He has significant experience in providing counsel on both hardware and software technologies, including business methods. With regard to patent procurement, Mr. Vedantam has extensive experience in constructing patent filing strategies, conducting effective examiner interviews, and filing appeals. He also has substantial knowledge in rendering non-infringement and invalidity opinions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Designed patent portfolio strategies for clients facing Section 101 issues.
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications for a large mobile device and electronics company. Representative technologies included mobile devices, mobile transactions, wearable devices, cloud-based applications, wireless networks, audio and video standards, analog and digital circuits, Internet of Things (IOT) systems, etc.
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications for a large financial institution. Representative technologies included business methods, mobile payments, financial transactions, context-aware computing, social media and analytics, automotive applications, augmented reality applications, etc.
- Prepared non-infringement opinions for a large financial institution. Exemplary opinions directed to providing counsel on release of financial management tools.
- Prepared invalidity opinions for a large financial institution. Exemplary opinions directed to providing counsel on validity of purchase transaction patents.
- Texas~United States (2016)
- North Carolina (inactive)~United States (2011)
- New York~United States (2010)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office~United States (2010)
- New Jersey~United States (2009)
- University of Florida (J.D., cum laude) (2009)
- Georgia Institute of Technology (M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering) (2006)
- Georgia Institute of Technology (BS Electrical Engineering, Highest Honors) (2005)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.