Juan’s practice encompasses civil and commercial litigation, restructuring and insolvency, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, with ample experience in the following industries: financial (banking and insurance), energy, construction, healthcare, tourism and hospitality, industrials, manufacturing, transportation and technology.
He has participated in several arbitrations with the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) and the American Arbitration Association (AAA), and in alternative dispute resolution procedures, both public and private.
Juan has acted before federal and local courts throughout the Mexican Republic, including collection in ordinary and executive actions, foreclosure procedures, pledge and mortgage enforcement actions, complex shareholders’ disputes, insurance disputes, lease actions, real estate and personal actions, family trials, liability actions, obtaining preventive, interim and temporary measures, processing of preparatory (pre-trial) procedures and the "amparo" trial.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an international energy and construction company in an international arbitration with the ICDR, regarding the enforcement of an agreement for the construction of a wind farm in Mexico, involving claims over USD 30 million.
- Represented an entity of the Canadian government in a commercial dispute in Mexico in a USD 40 million dispute.
- Represented a German bank in a collection dispute in Mexico.
- Represented a Nicaraguan Bank in a collection dispute in Mexico, involving precautionary measures and international arbitration matters.
- Represented the biggest farmer cooperative company in the US in a complex commercial collection dispute in Mexico.
- Represented a leading US company in terms of manufacturing, assembly, distribution, marketing, import, export and sale of all types of electrical appliances in general, in a cross-border dispute resolution case, involving investigations of frauds in the operations of two subsidiaries located in Mexico, encompassing complex litigation strategies to be implemented in the US and in Mexico to recover damages (approximately US 30 million).
- Represented an international insurance company in a USD 100 million title insurance dispute involving a property in Mexico subject to an expropriation decree. The claim was filed before the State District Court of Harris County in Houston, Texas, and the defense involved obtaining evidence throughout the Mexican courts in different states of the Mexican Republic, with active participation of Houston court officers.
- Represented an affiliate company of an international hotel group and obtained precautionary measures with federal courts to preserve the operation of a hotel located in Los Cabos, related to an ICC arbitration and a trial in New York City.
- Represented the main supplier of ATMs in the US in several complex shareholders’ disputes, involving actions in Mexico, the US and an ICC arbitration.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in a commercial and contractual dispute, claiming the payment of damages and losses due to the defendant’s breach of contract and civil liability.
- Recognized lawyer in Real Estate for Mexico 2013, Legal 500
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mexican Bar Association - Member
- Mexico~Mexico (2005)
- Universidad Panamericana (Post Graduate Degree Advanced Studies: Civil and Commercial Procedural Law , with honors) (2014)
- International Chamber of Commerce of Mexico City and Escuela Libre de Derecho (Diploma International Arbitration) (2013)
- Barra Mexicana Colegio de Abogados (Diploma Class Actions) (2012)
- Il·Lustre Col·legi d’Advocats in Barcelona with the Institut de Drets Humans of Catalunya (Diploma XXVII Diplomat on Human Rights) (2009)
- Instituto Federal de Especialistas en Concursos Mercantiles (Diploma Second Latin American Congress on Bankruptcy Law) (2006)
- Escuela Libre de Derecho (LLB) (2005)
Author, “The International Comparative Legal Guide to Class & Group Actions,” ICLG, Global Legal Group - Mexico Chapter, 2016
Co-Author, “Report of Significant Legal Developments in Mexico During 2011 and Expected in 2012,” [Published by Gardere] 31 December 2011
Speaker, Legal Culture House of the Supreme Court of Justice of Mexico, Conference: “General issues of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanisms,” ADR Seminar, Villahermosa, Tabasco, November 2015
Speaker, “An Overview of the Dispute Resolution Mechanisms and Challenges,” Mexico Energy Reform Seminar, Gardere, Mercer, Rigzone and Oliver Wyman, Houston, Texas, and Denver, Colorado, October 2014
Speaker, Legal Culture House of the Supreme Court of Justice of Mexico, Conference: “Arbitration, Mediation, Conciliation and Negotiation,” Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanisms Seminar, Villahermosa, Tabasco, 30 September 2014