Juan’s practice encompasses civil and commercial litigation, bankruptcy and restructure, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution, with ample experience in financial (banking and insurance), energy, construction, healthcare, tourism and hospitality, industrials, manufacturing, transportation and technology.
He has acted before federal and local courts throughout the Mexican Republic, including: collection in ordinary and executive actions, foreclosure procedures, mortgage, complex shareholders’ disputes, insurance disputes, lease actions, family trials, liability actions, obtaining preventive, interim and temporary measures, processing of preparatory (pre-trial) procedures and the "amparo" trial.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an international insurance company in a USD 100 million title insurance dispute, involving a property in Mexico subject to an expropriation decree. The claim was filed before the State District Court of Harris County in Houston, Texas, and the defense involved obtaining evidence throughout the Mexican courts in different states of the Mexican Republic, with active participation of Houston court officers.
- Represented an affiliate company of an international hotel group, and obtained precautionary measures with federal courts to preserve the operation of a hotel located in Los Cabos, related to an ICC arbitration and a trial in New York City.
- Represented the main supplier of ATMs in the United States of America in several complex shareholders’ disputes, involving actions in Mexico, the US and an ICC Arbitration.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in a commercial and contractual dispute, claiming the payment of damages and losses due to the defendant’s breach of contract and civil liability.
- Represented several creditors in restructuring and bankruptcy procedures in several states of the Mexican Republic.
- Represented several international insurance companies in insurance coverage disputes.
- Recognized lawyer in Real Estate for Mexico 2013, Legal 500
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mexican Bar Association - Member
- Mexico~Mexico (2005)
- Universidad Panamericana (Post Graduate Degree Advanced Studies: Civil and Commercial Procedural Law with honors) (2014)
- International Chamber of Commerce of Mexico City and Escuela Libre de Derecho (Diploma International Arbitration) (2014)
- Barra Mexicana Colegio de Abogados (Diploma Class Actions) (2012)
- Il·Lustre Col·legi d’Advocats in Barcelona with the Institut de Drets Humans of Catalunya (Diploma XXVII Diplomat on Human Rights) (2009)
- Instituto Federal de Especialistas en Concursos Mercantiles (Diploma Second Latin American Congress on Bankruptcy Law) (2006)
- Escuela Libre de Derecho (LLB) (2005)