Priyanka Usmani is a Partner in Baker McKenzie’s Banking and Finance Department based in London. Priyanka predominantly acts on restructuring and insolvency matters, often with multijurisdictional aspects, representing a range of clients both on the debtor side (acting for companies and financial sponsors), the creditor side (acting for institutional lenders and funds) and insolvency officeholders. Priyanka is accustomed to acting for the full spectrum of stakeholders in any restructuring and insolvency situations, including investors and directors of distressed (or potentially distressed) companies.
Since joining Baker McKenzie, Priyanka has spent six months on secondment with the workout team at Barclays.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Jain Irrigation in it's the ongoing merger of its international irrigation business with Temasek-owned Rivulis Pte Ltd. and its interaction with Jain’s finance documents. The transaction is subject to required regulatory approvals and is expected to be completed in the first half of 2023.
- Advised Jain Irrigation on its multi-jurisdictional bank and bond debt restructuring of USD 200 million notes issued by its wholly owned Dutch subsidiary, implemented by way of an English law scheme of arrangement.
- Advised the joint administrators of Paperchase Products Limited (in administration) on a pre-packaged sale of certain parts of its business.
- Advised HSBC as securitisation lender on the pre-pack administration of Studio Retail Group plc involving the solvent sale of Studio Retail Limited to Frasers Group plc.
- Advised the Agent and Trustee in respect of the three Greensill Notes Programmes in relation to the impact of the administration of Greensill Capital (UK) Limited on the Greensill Notes Programme.
- Advised Global Ports on the refinancing of its USD 250 million New York law governed notes issued by its wholly owned Turkish subsidiary, including in relation to a proposed scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Mashreqbank as Agent on an international plastics manufacturer’s restructuring, to be effected in the UAE, Bahrain and Belgium.
- Advised GLAS (in various capacities as trustee and agent) on the consensual restructuring (implemented by way of a debt-for-equity swap) of the Equiom Group.
- Advised GLAS (in various capacities as trustee and agent) on the restructuring of PizzaExpress, implemented via the new UK Restructuring Plan.
- Advised JP Morgan on its lending to a high net worth individual, including advice on potential enforcement action.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation - Steering Committee Member
- Turnaround Management Association - Member
- Insolvency Lawyers Association
- INSOL Europe
- England & Wales (2009)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Commerce)
- BPP University Law School (Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice)