Tom is a member of the North America Litigation & Government Enforcement Practice Group in Baker McKenzie's Los Angeles office, and supports the Firm’s privacy, cybersecurity and other international regulatory and advisory practices. He joined the Firm in 2019 upon graduating from Vanderbilt Law School. Previously, he spent time with the Firm’s offices in Houston and San Francisco. Before law school Tom was a Division I athlete, worked in client relations for a wealth management firm in Malaysia, and coached professional ice hockey in Norway.
Tom is experienced in all stages of commercial litigation in state and federal court, and with complex commercial proceedings. He has conducted oral argument in California state court concerning substantive motions, and has participated in all other aspects of dispute resolution. In addition to assisting clients with commercial disputes, he focuses on advising a wide variety of international clients on privacy, cybersecurity, and other cross-border regulations to help them implement new policies and launch new products, and particularly in the technology industry.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented French multinational IT consulting firm as second chair in a multi-week international arbitration against claims concerning software development and Wi-Fi calling technology. The parties and witnesses were located in various international jurisdictions. The tribunal denied all of the claimant’s claims in their entirety, as well as the claimant’s request for reconsideration of the award.
- Represented a biopharmaceutical company in a licensing dispute over medical patents in California state court. Conducted oral argument regarding the client's motion to dismiss and motion to strike.
- Advised a syndicate of underwriters on a USD 5 billion sustainability-linked bond offering for global pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a mental health technology company on an international survey of several jurisdictions’ laws, including privacy laws and other regulatory schemes, in order to implement the client’s mental health coaching app.
- Advise a global payment-processing entity on the privacy laws of multiple US states and its implementation of a security system utilizing the biometric data of its employees.
- Advise multiple video-gaming businesses on a variety of privacy and mass arbitration policies and strategies.
- Represented a Swedish air filtration company in federal court against intellectual property infringement claims. Prior to the successful resolution of the dispute, the plaintiff's motion for preliminary injunction was denied by the court with respect to all claims.
- California~United States
- Vanderbilt University Law School (JD, cum laude) (2019)
- College of the Holy Cross (BA) (2013)
- Author, Extraterritoriality. Second Circuit holds that U.S. courts can regulate alleged violations of the Commodity Exchange Act relating to foreign exchanges where irrevocable liability for the securities transactions is incurred within the U.S., Lexology
- Co-author, Arbitration. Confirmation of Award. District court declines confirmation of an award vacated at seat, Lexology
- Co-author, District Court enforces interim award for reimbursement of costs of arbitration, Lexology
- Co-author, District court confirms enforcement of foreign arbitral award, denying arguments that tribunal was not impartial and enforcement was contrary to U.S. public policy, Lexology
- Co-author, Ninth Circuit Court denies motion to compel arbitration under federal equitable estoppel law, Lexology, 20 April 2021
- Contributor, Baker McKenzie’s International Arbitration Yearbook (2020/21 and 2021/22)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.