Representative Legal Matters
Peter has advised clients in multiple industries, including among others the medical device, nuclear medicine, pharmaceutical, software, aviation, insurance, oil and gas and real estate industries.
- Obtained an internal controls US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act resolution and a civil money penalty of USD 375,000 with the Securities and Exchange Commission and a declination from the Department of Justice for a global health science company whose employee engaged a Russian agent and approved bribes to foreign officials.
- Conducted internal investigations in, among other jurisdictions, the United States, Brazil, Canada, Chile, India, Mexico, and Russia for multinational business enterprises involving compliance issues, in particular those arising under the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Conducted anti-corruption due diligence on third-parties in, among other jurisdictions, Brazil, Mexico, Panama and Türkiye.
- Conducted anti-corruption due diligence on target companies in cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and joint venture partners in international joint ventures.
- Tried to a favorable judgment in the Delaware Court of Chancery five public pension fund limited partners’ removal of the general partner of a USD 70 million real estate limited partnership.
- Obtained order on appeal reversing an USD 11 million jury verdict and entering judgment in favor of founders of an electronic stock exchange on a fraud claim brought by a former business associate.
- Represented a Japanese global life insurer in the Delaware Court of Chancery against challenges to its acquisition of a US insurer.
- Represented a Japanese global life insurer in the Circuit Court of the State of Oregon against challenges to its acquisition of a US insurer.
- Represented an acquirer in successfully opposing a shareholder’s motion to enjoin a multibillion dollar merger with the target (trial and appeal in the same day).
- Conducted an internal investigation for the US subsidiary of a German company involving allegations of trade secret misappropriation and corporate espionage.
Peter clerked for the Honorable Vice Chancellor John W. Noble of the Delaware Court of Chancery from 2002 to 2003
Peter received his Juris Doctorate degree, Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif, from the University of Michigan Law School in 2002. He was awarded the following:
- Daniel H. Grady Prize for achieving the highest scholastic average of his graduating class.
- Class of 1908 Scholarship Award for achieving the highest scholastic average of his second-year law school class.
- Maurice Weigle Scholarship Award for achieving the highest scholastic average of his first-year law school class.
- Emmett E. Eagan Award for excellence in the study of corporate law.
He also served as Articles Editor, Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review.
Peter received his Bachelor of Science in Economics, with Highest Honors, from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1999. He was named to the Bronze Tablet, which is the University's highest honor for graduating students, and was a member of the Campus Honors Program.
- NACD Directorship100: Governance Professionals and Institutions, 2018-2019
- Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers Individual Awards, 2010-2011, 2013-2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Wong Sun Society of San Francisco - Member
- American Bar Association - Criminal Law Section - Member
- American Bar Association - Business Law Section - Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit (2014)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (2007)
- Illinois~United States (2002)
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif) (2002)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.S. Economics, Highest Honors) (1999)
Publications and Presentations
Co-author, "ESG in the Boardroom: A Guidebook for Directors," ABA Book Publishing, 2022
Interview, "Baker McKenzie: ESG as New Risk Frontier", Ethisphere Magazine, The Super
ESG Issue, Winter 2019
Co-author, "Practical Guidance for Directors Overseeing Corporate Investigations," NACD Board Leaders’ Blog, 1 August 2018
The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Handbook (5th ed. 2018) (with Robert W. Tarun)
Canadian Institute’s Conducting Internal Investigations, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 6 June 2018
Panelist, Leading Minds of Governance, National Association of Corporate Directors, Miami, Florida, 6 December 2017