Anahita Thoms heads Baker McKenzie's International Trade Practice in Germany. She was appointed for the second consecutive term co-chair of the Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee of the ABA after serving as vice-chair for three years. Anahita is also the vice-chair of the ABA Privacy, E-Commerce & Data Security Steering Committee.
Anahita has won various accolades for her work, including Rising Star 2016 by the New York Law Journal, International Trade Lawyer (NY) at the ILO Client Choice Awards, 2017 Global Investigations Review's (GIR) 40 under 40, and the ABA Section of International Law's Award for 2016 Outstanding CLE Committee Program. She has also been recognized by JUVE, Legal 500 US and Who's Who Legal.
Anahita focuses her practice on global investigations, particularly in the fields of international trade law and data protection. She has significant experience advising on internal compliance programs, accompanying internal and external investigations and self-disclosures in cases of breaches of sanctions, export control and foreign investment review, closely collaborating with the competent authorities. She also has considerable experience in the area of data protection. Clients rely on Anahita for her experience handling complex issues that arise in the intersection of US and EU trade and data protection.
- 40 under 40, Global Investigations Review, 2017
- International Trade Lawyer (New York), ILO Client Choice Awards, 2016
- Rising Star, New York Law Journal, 2016
- Young Practitioner of the Year, World ECR Awards, 2016
- Outstanding CLE Committee Program, ABA Section of International Law Award, 2016
- Outstanding Non-CLE Committee Program, ABA Section of International Law Award, 2015
- Young Leader of the Atlantik-Bruecke e.V, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Berlin Bar Association - Member
- Dusseldorf Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Co-Chair of the ABA Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee
- American Bar Association - Vice-Chair of the ABA Privacy, E-Commerce and Data Security Committee
- New York - Foreign Legal Consultant (2015)
- Germany (2008)
- Nottingham Trent University (LL.M.) (2013)
- Higher Regional Court of Dusseldorf (Second State Exam) (2007)
- Heinrich-Heine University (First State Exam) (2005)