Barry is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Los Angeles office. For 30 years, he has litigated and tried complex commercial and product liability cases for Fortune 500 companies in state and federal courts across the U.S., serving as national counsel, trial counsel, and regional counsel. Barry is a member of Baker McKenzie's National Trial Team and the Litigation Chair for its California Offices.
Representative Legal Matters
Representing the largest private university in Los Angeles in a four-week jury trial alleging breach of contract and business torts (seeking USD 120 million in damages); outcome: net verdict in favor of client with an award of attorney's fees.
Representing multiple Grammy-winning entertainers in litigation and trial across Southern California, including a six-week jury trial in Los Angeles County with significant press coverage.
Trial of one-month business torts case to verdict for a client in Fresno County, with the dismissal of two of three claims, low verdict, and nuisance settlement.
Serving as national counsel and national trial counsel for medical device manufacturers in mass tort medical device litigation (MDL 1842) involving implanted hernia mesh patches.
Trial of two "Kugel" mesh "Bellwether" hernia mesh cases to verdict back-to-back in federal court in Providence, RI; defense verdict on trial #1; USD 1.5 million verdict on trial #2 (Plaintiffs' counsel hand-selected case from over 3,000 cases; 90% of case inventory settled favorably after Bellwether #2).
Regional counsel on multiple mass tort pharmaceutical litigations for 30 years (e.g., representing pharma companies re Vioxx, Fen-Phen, Rezulin, Mirapex).
Trial of four-week admitted liability third-degree burn case to verdict in Orange County, holding damages to half plaintiffs' pretrial demand and half of policy limits.
Trial team for commercial plaintiff's case, obtaining a verdict in federal court in Northern California on claims for breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and punitive damages; judgment collected in full with punitive plus interest.
Barry captained his intercollegiate soccer team 3 of 4 years. He has completed an Ironman Triathlon and multiple mountain stages of the Tour de France and the Amgen Tour of California.
- Product Liability and Recall/Commercial Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2020-2023
- LMG Life Science Star in Non-IP Litigation and Enforcement, LMG Life Sciences, 2012-2017, 2020-2022
- Leading Individual in Product Liability Defense, Who's Who Legal, 2015-2023
- Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution: Product Liability, Mass Tort, and Class Action and Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices: Defense, Legal 500 US, 2013, 2016-2023
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2000-2023
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Conference Institute - Member
- Defense Research Institute - Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel - Member
- California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado~United States
- University of San Diego (JD) (1990)
- University of California at San Diego (BA) (1986)
- Contributing author, International Arbitration Yearbook, Baker McKenzie, 2021
- Co-author, "Four Considerations for Developers of Next-Generation Combination Products," Medical Product Outsourcing Magazine, 4 March 2020
- Co-presenter, "A 21st Century Medical Device Case Study: How to Get to Market and Thrive in Today's Challenging Regulatory and Legal Climate," San Francisco, January 2020
- Co-author, "5 Key Issues Raised in Most CBD Product Class Actions," Law360, 16 January 2020
- Author, "Hold 'em or Fold 'em: 8 'Cards' Companies Consider Before Trying a Case," The Daily Journal, 14 June 2013