Barry Thompson is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Los Angeles office. For 25 years he has litigated and tried significant exposure cases in the consumer product, medical device and pharmaceutical industries. Barry regularly finds himself in state and federal courtrooms for Fortune 500 companies, entrusted to try mass tort "bellwether" cases with potential "bet-the-company" impact as well as individual catastrophic injury cases and has taken many such cases to successful verdict.
A skilled trial lawyer with an easy-going way about him, Barry has deep experience in cases with complex medical and scientific issues. As such, Barry's practice focus has been on products liability, commercial as well as litigation and risk management counseling.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Barry handled the following matters:
- Acted as national counsel and national trial counsel for defendant in a mass tort medical litigation (MDL) involving implanted hernia mesh patches.
- Tried first "Kugel" hernia mesh "Bellwether" MDL case to defense verdict in federal court in Providence, RI.
- Acted as national counsel and national trial counsel on pharmaceutical mass tort litigation over product that allegedly caused addictive behaviors, federal court, Minneapolis, MN.
- Tried one month commercial business torts case in state court in Fresno, CA to verdict, with dismissal of two of three claims and low dollar verdict.
- Trial team member on commercial plaintiff's jury verdict in San Francisco federal court on claims for tort, contract, and punitive damages.
- Tried admitted liability third degree burn case to verdict over four weeks in state court in Santa Ana, CA, holding damages to half of plaintiffs' pretrial settlement demand.
- Representing multiple Grammy-winning musical artists against claims of catastrophic injuries at concert venues.
- Risk management advice and counseling regarding hot tubs and spas.
- Advise soft drink company on safety and labeling issues around consumer complaints and QC/QA.
- Mock trial of food labeling class action alleging lack of scientific substantiation of product claims.
- Named as one of the Top Attorneys in Southern California, Los Angeles Magazine, 2016-2018
- LMG Life Science Star in Non-IP Litigation and Enforcement, LMG Life Sciences, 2012-2017
- Leading Individual in Product Liability Defense, Who's Who Legal, 2015-2019
- Leading Individual, Super Lawyer, 2012-2017
- Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution: Product Liability, Mass Tort, and Class Action and Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices: Defense, Legal 500 US, 2013, 2016-2018
- AV PreeminentTM Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2000-2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Conference Institute - Member
- Defense Research Institute - Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel - Member
- California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States
- University of San Diego (JD) (1990)
- University of California at San Diego (BA) (1986)
Author, "Hold 'em or Fold 'em: 8 'Cards' Companies Consider Before Trying a Case," The Daily Journal, 14 June 2013