Howard Shiu is a partner and member of the Employment Practice Group in Baker McKenzie, Taipei. He focuses on trust law and dispute resolution. He was recognized as a Notable Practitioner by Chambers Asia Pacific 2016.
Mr. Shiu assists and represents local and foreign corporations in labor and employment matters, including resolution of labor disputes, employment issues in mergers and acquisition transactions, negotiation of collective bargaining agreements with unions, mass severance, and compliance of employment regulations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Oracle, Fidelity, Cosmos Bank, Adobe, Broadcom, Computer Associates, CBRE, Gore, KLA-Tencor, K-Swiss, Leo Burnett, and McDonald's in handling their private negotiations, mediations and/or lawsuits in labor disputes.
- Representing various high-profile companies in conducting internal investigations on employees’ suspected misconduct, involving sexual harassment, embezzlement, bribery, and forgery.
- Represented a high-profile client in closing and obtaining favorable judgments for over 100 frivolous lawsuits filed by a disgruntled former employee.
- Advised on employment issues in M&A transactions for Wells Fargo, ANZ, Oracle, Qualcomm, Wolverine, Stanley Works and Sony.
- Advised on employment issues during the post-merger integrations (including transfer of employee welfare funds and consolidation of employee benefits) for Oracle, Wells Fargo, Standard Chartered Bank.
- Represented GE and Cosmos Bank in negotiating and concluding a CBA with the employees union of Cosmos Bank.
- Represented Standard Chartered Bank in concluding two rounds of CBA negotiations with its employees union, while the second round took less than two months, a record in Taiwan’s union history.
- Acted for Standard Chartered Bank in twice successfully preventing its employees union from initiating strike action.
- Assisted the liquidator of Lehman Brothers to close its Taiwan subsidiary, laying off most of its employees and transferring the remaining employees to another firm.
- Assisted MetLife in terminating the employment of over half of its more than one thousand employees.
- Named Recognized Practitioner by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2023)
- Named Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2023)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taiwan Bar Association - Chairperson of the Labor Relationship Committee (2012)
- New York~United States (2006)
- Taipei~Taiwan (1999)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M.) (2003)
- National Taiwan University (LL.M.) (1999)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1994)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.