Dominic Sharman is a member of the Dispute Resolution group at Baker McKenzie's Tokyo office.
Having trained and qualified in the UK, Dominic moved to Japan to practice law in 2014, working for a prominent law firm in Tokyo before moving to Baker McKenzie in 2017.
Dominic is a member of Baker McKenzie's Healthcare & Life Sciences, Technology, Media & Telecoms and Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Industry Groups.
Dominic's practice covers a broad range of advisory and contentious work with both Japan-related and international aspects, including international arbitration under the rules of various arbitral institutions, cross border litigation in both the courts of England & Wales and Japan, and compliance-related matters.
Dominic advises and represents clients spanning several industries, with a particular focus on healthcare and life sciences and energy, mining and infrastructure.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a major global pharmaceutical company in an International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration (seated in Paris) arising from a development and commercialization agreement.
- Represented a Japanese commercial vehicle sales company in a Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA) arbitration (seated in Tokyo) with a Southeast Asian party arising out of multiple sales agreements.
- Represented a major global solar power company in a Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA) arbitration (seated in Tokyo) with a European party regarding the construction of a power- generation facility in Japan.
- Represented a Japanese commercial vehicle sales company in the first reported successful application for recognition and enforcement of a foreign arbitral award in Myanmar.
- Represented a major Japanese shipping company in an arbitration under the American Arbitration Association (International Centre for Dispute Resolution)(ICDR-AAA) rules (seated in Tokyo) arising out of a number of shipbuilding contracts.
- Represented a Japanese employer consortium in a potential arbitration with an EPC contractor regarding the construction of a power-generation facility in Southeast Asia.
- Represented a Japanese automotive parts manufacturer in a potential JCAA arbitration in connection with allegedly defective products.
- Appointed by World Rugby to a panel of lawyers tasked with handling disciplinary issues through a dispute resolution system for the 20 teams participating in the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
Litigation and Advisory
- Advised and provided claim management services to a major global payment services company with respect to claims brought against it in Japan, including in the Japanese courts and other ADR processes.
- Advised a major European plant engineering group in several potential disputes with Japanese counterparties arising out of a number of construction projects in Japan.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Judge/Arbitrator, Intercollege Negotiation Competition (sponsored by Sumitomo Group Public Affairs Authority and others), since 2020
- Contributor, Fighting Domestic Violence (Japan chapter), Global Rights for Women / Every Woman Treaty, October 2020
- Foreign Registered Lawyer (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi)~Japan (2015)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (Solicitor Advocate) (2011)
- England & Wales (Solicitor)~United Kingdom (2009)
- Kaplan Altior (Higher Rights of Audience - Civil and Criminal) (2011)
- University of Lancaster (LLB (Hons)) (2005)
Publications, Presentations and Articles
- Co-author, "International Mediation Update: Japan," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, Baker McKenzie, October 2020, Language: English
- Co-author, "Landmark Recognition and Enforcement of a Foreign Arbitral Award in Myanmar," Lexology, September 2020, Language: English
- Co-author, "Outline of the Emergency Arbitrator System and Points to Note When Using It," Business Law Magazine, August 2020, Language: Japanese
- Co-author, "Landmark Recognition and Enforcement of a Foreign Arbitral Award in Myanmar," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, Baker McKenzie, August 2020, Language: English and Japanese
- Co-author, "International Commercial Arbitration Practice: 21st Century Perspectives: International Commercial Arbitration Practice in Japan," Lexis-Nexis, 2020, Language: English
- Co-author, "Force Majeure under Japanese Law," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, Baker McKenzie, March 2020, Language: English