Sean Selleck joined Baker McKenzie as a partner in 2013. Prior to that, he was a special counsel at a leading Australian law firm.
Sean has more than 13 years' experience advising small and large corporations, multinational businesses and senior executives in relation to employment and industrial law.
Sean is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria, the Industrial Relations Society of Victoria and the Australian Labour Law Association.
Sean practices in all areas of employment law and litigation, including the preparation of contracts and policies, advice about entitlements, restructuring advice and representation in disputes (dismissals, discrimination, post-employment restraints and confidentiality).
He also practices in industrial law with a particular emphasis on the development of industrial relations strategies, enterprise agreements (including scope and good faith bargaining disputes and protected action ballot order applications) and representation in disputes and in dispute resolution processes.
He appears in all relevant jurisdictions –— the Fair Work Commission, all Victorian and federal courts, the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal and the Australian Human Rights Commission.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the owner/operator of a coal mine and electricity generation plant in the La Trobe Valley (Victoria) in numerous industrial disputes and hearings before industrial tribunals.
- Advised a client through the negotiation, drafting and approval of several enterprise agreements with multiple unions.
- Represented a multinational food manufacturer in numerous industrial and employment disputes and in legal proceedings in various jurisdictions.
- Represented a client who supplied the labour for the laying of a sub-sea gas pipeline between Victoria and Tasmania. This matter involved several proceedings in an industrial tribunal and in the Federal Court, including injunctive and contempt proceedings.
- Advised one of Australia’s largest listed corporations throughout two fraud investigations.
- Successfully represented an employer in a right of entry dispute with a union before a Full Court of the Federal Court.
- Represented several employers in disputes with the Fair Work Ombudsman about allegedly sham contractors and a long term casual employee.
- Assisted a range of employers with the development of suites of employment contracts and policies and in award compliance programs.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australian Labour Law Association - Member
- Law Institute of Victoria - Member
- Industrial Relations Society of Victoria - Member
- Victoria~Australia (1986)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (1986)
- Supreme Court of Victoria~Australia (1986)
- Monash University (LL.B. Honors) (1984)
- Monash University (B.A.) (1982)