Baker & McKenzie Services Limited
Not admitted to practice law in this jurisdiction
Shira is an associate with the London Intellectual Property Group. Her practice covers a range of intellectual property and regulatory matters, primarily those in the healthcare and life sciences industry. Shira also routinely assists Baker McKenzie's Food & Drug Administration Practice on health product regulation in the United States. Before coming to London, Shira was an associate with the Toronto office, which she joined as a summer student in 2018. Shira completed a Master of Science in Pharmacology and a Master of Public Health. She also trained with the legal department of a global pharmaceutical company as well as with the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene.
Shira has advised on various aspects of intellectual property law including patent litigation, brand management and enforcement, IP transactions, as well as the interface between healthcare regulation and IP. She also advises on pharmaceutical, medical device, and food product regulation, including in the areas of research and development, clinical trials, approval and launch, advertising/marketing, and labelling.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a leading American biotechnology manufacturer on trade secret and confidentiality protections in its partnerships and regulatory submissions.
- Assisted a biopharmaceutical company on an international patent ownership dispute regarding the development of a novel therapy.
- Coordinated regulatory diligence and risk assessments for pharmaceutical and medical device operations and transactions, including for Johnson & Johnson's spin-off of its consumer health business.
- Advised an international life sciences service provider on coordinating decentralized clinical trials and telemedicine implications.
- Guided drug and medical device manufacturers on special COVID-19 emergency measures and their implications on product development, approval, and launch timelines in the US and Canada.
- Assists medical device and food companies regarding their advertising, marketing, and labelling compliance in the US and Canada.
- Advises on patent and trademark compliance, transaction, and enforcement strategies for clients in healthcare, food, fashion, banking, gaming, transportation, and resource management industries.
- Represented one of North America's largest freight railroad networks in a patent infringement suit on three patents pertaining to online e-commerce tools.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Public Health Association
- Ontario~Canada (2020)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (JD) (2019)
- Columbia University (MPH) (2017)
- University of Toronto (MSc) (2015)
- Queen's University (BAH) (2011)
- Co-author, "EU Reforms in the Pharmaceutical Sector - a pivotal year of change ahead," The Life Sciences Lawyer, February 2023 (link: )
- Co-author, Canadian chapter of the Pharmaceutical Intellectual Property and Competition Law Review, 2021
- Contributor, Canadian chapter of the Chambers and Partners Advertising and Marketing Global Practice Guide, 2021
- Co-author, "FDA's new guidance on emergency use authorizations for COVID-19 vaccines," Lexology, November 2020
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.