Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow
Not admitted to practice law in this jurisdiction
Simonette is a local principal in the Finance & Projects Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow in Singapore. She has around 10 years' experience advising sponsors and lenders on energy and infrastructure investment, project development and financing, and around two years' experience as a corporate/M&A lawyer specialising in energy-related transactions, on projects across Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Before moving back to Singapore, Simonette was based in London, Beijing and Shanghai.
Simonette's main areas of practice are cross-border project development, project finance and mergers & acquisitions in the energy and infrastructure sectors. She is experienced in advising on project documents such as construction contracts, operation and maintenance contracts, LTSAs, offtake contracts and concession agreements, as well as financing documents such as common terms / facilities agreements, security agreements and direct agreements. Her experience also includes advising on sale and purchase agreements, joint venture and shareholder agreements, gas and LNG sale and purchase agreements, joint operating agreements, farmout agreements, production sharing contracts and unitisation agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
Experience prior to joining Baker McKenzie:
- Advised the commercial banks on the project financing of the 1,400MW Hin Kong gas-fired IPP in Thailand. Awarded APAC Power Deal of the Year, PFI Awards 2022.
- Advised the common lenders (including ADB, JBIC and commercial lenders) on the USD 1.37 billion project financing of the 2,500MW Gulf PD gas-fired power plant in Thailand. Awarded Asia Power Deal of the Year, PFI Awards 2019.
- Advised JBIC, NEXI and commercial lenders on the USD 1.4 billion project financing of 1.8GW Hamriyah combined-cycle gas-fired power project located in Sharjah, UAE. Awarded MENA Power Deal of the Year, IJ Global Awards 2019.
- Advising the lenders (including CDB, CEXIM and ICBC) in connection with various project financings in Pakistan under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (including 99MW UEP wind; 870 MW Suki Kinari hydro; 700MW Azad Pattan hydro; 2x660MW Hubco coal-fired; 2 x 330 MW Thar II coal-fired mine-mouth IPP and 3.8Mt/a coal mine).
- Advised the sponsors on the proposed project financing of the 1GW+ Hai Long 2 and 3 offshore wind projects in Taiwan.
- Advised the international lenders on the Sodegaura solar PV project financing in Japan.
- Advised CDB on the Lekki Deepwater Port in Nigeria sponsored by China Harbor and Tolaram. Awarded Africa Infrastructure Deal of the Year, PFI Awards 2019, and is Nigeria's first deep sea port and one of Africa's deepest draught ports.
- Advised Glencore on the LNG supply arrangements in connection with its minority investment into a PRC-based company principally engaged in the development, generation, purchase and distribution of various types of gas energy.
- Advised Italian-Thai Development Plc on the USD 4.5 billion development and financing of a 500km rail line and port project in Mozambique.
- Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise in connection with its acquisition of power assets in Egypt and Jordan.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales - Member
- Association of International Energy Negotiators - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2011)
- BPP Law School (Post-graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (Distinction)) (2008)
- University of Cambridge (Law) (2007)
- National University of Singapore (Mathematics with Management Science) (2003)
Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.