Representative Legal Matters
- On behalf of a global service provider, obtained a multimillion-dollar international arbitration award which included rescission of a stock purchase agreement returning a subsidiary back to its previous shareholders. The tribunal found that the former shareholders did not disclose bribes paid to public officials to win government contracts.
- Represented a global distributor of electronics in an investigation by the Bureau of Industry and Security for alleged export violations.
- Represented a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission into alleged FCPA violations in China.
- Represented a global food producer who allegedly violated the Packers and Stockyards Act (anti-trust based violations).
- Represented a Caribbean-based investment company in recovering assets misappropriated through fraud.
- Representing a multibillion-dollar company in parallel government investigations regarding alleged exports contrary to the Export Administration Regulations and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
- Obtained a full acquittal for a criminal defendant charged in a 12-count indictment alleging tax fraud and conspiracy to commit tax fraud. After deliberating for less than two hours, a federal jury found William's client not guilty on all charges.
- Successfully obtained a dismissal as lead counsel in an USD 11 billion civil RICO claim against an international logistics company.
- Successfully defended a yacht salesman accused of nine counts of money laundering indictment that stemmed from an Internal Revenue Service sting operation in the Southern District of Florida. After a three-week trial, a federal jury found William's client not guilty on all charges.
- Successfully petitioned US Customs and Border Protection on behalf of a leading international freight services provider to completely rescind a large penalty for violations of 19 USC §§ 1595a(b) and 1499.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association, Professional Ethics Committee - Member (2018-2019)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Member
- Florida International Bankers Association (FIBA) - Member
- American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter - Member
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Member
- Florida Bar, Federal Court Practice Committee - Former Member (2010-2012)
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter - Former President (2009-2010)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section - Member
- American Bar Association, International Law Section - Member
- Lead, No. 06-71955, Pro-Bono, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Young Sun Shin v. Alberto R. Gonzales, Attorney General of the United States of America
- Drug Free Youth In Town
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2011)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida~United States (2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida~United States (2003)
- Florida~United States (1999)
- University of Miami (JD) (1999)
- Tulane University (BA) (1996)
"Experts Say Investment In Compliance Makes Financial Sense As Fines Expand," The Gleaner, 14 October 2015
Co-author, "Adapting to Global Standards of Compliance," Bloomberg BNA's World Securities Law Report, 4 January 2017
Co-author, "The Broad Reach of Successor Liability with a Federal Claim: Asset Sales and Bankruptcy Fail to Shield," Bloomberg BNA's Bankruptcy Law Reporter, 12 December 2013
Co-author, "Are Money Laundering Laws DOJ's Tools in Expanding Reach of FCPA? Ruling in Siriwan Case Could Undo DOJ's Strategy," The National Law Journal, 15 November 2012
Presenter, "Foul – The FIFA Debacle and How it Affects Financial Institutions," Fourth Annual Anti-Money Laundering/Counter-Financing of Terrorism Conference, New Kingston, Jamaica, 12 October 2015
Co-presenter, "Appropriately Scoping an Internal Investigation," Baker McKenzie Insights into Litigation Webinar Series, 15 May 2014