William Roppolo is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Miami office. He has successfully tried commercial and criminal cases throughout the United States, including matters involving alleged antitrust, fraud and money laundering violations. William began his legal career investigating financial crimes with the United States Customs Service. He is a former president of the Federal Bar Association - South Florida chapter and a member of its executive board. He has published many articles on topics ranging from anti-corruption to successor liability. He consistently ranks among South Florida Legal Guide's Top Lawyers. He heads the Firm's Litigation and Government Enforcement Practice Group in Miami and is a member of the Government Enforcement steering committee.
William is a trial lawyer who focuses on disputes concerning multinational corporations and individuals. He has successfully resolved cases involving asset forfeitures, trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duties, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, export control laws, customs fraud and financial crimes. William has obtained multiple not guilty jury verdicts for clients and prevented many others from criminal investigation and indictment.
Representative Legal Matters
- On behalf of a global service provider, obtained a multimillion-dollar international arbitration award which included rescission of a stock purchase agreement returning a subsidiary back to its previous shareholders. The tribunal found that the former shareholders did not disclose bribes paid to public officials to win government contracts.
- Represented a global distributor of electronics in an investigation by the Bureau of Industry and Security for alleged export violations.
- Represented a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission into alleged FCPA violations in China.
- Represented a global food producer who allegedly violated the Packers and Stockyards Act (anti-trust based violations).
- Represented a Caribbean-based investment company in recovering assets misappropriated through fraud.
- Representing a multibillion-dollar company in parallel government investigations regarding alleged exports contrary to the Export Administration Regulations and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
- Obtained a full acquittal for a criminal defendant charged in a 12-count indictment alleging tax fraud and conspiracy to commit tax fraud. After deliberating for less than two hours, a federal jury found William's client not guilty on all charges.
- Successfully obtained a dismissal as lead counsel in an USD 11 billion civil RICO claim against an international logistics company.
- Successfully defended a yacht salesman accused of nine counts of money laundering indictment that stemmed from an Internal Revenue Service sting operation in the Southern District of Florida. After a three-week trial, a federal jury found William's client not guilty on all charges.
- Successfully petitioned US Customs and Border Protection on behalf of a leading international freight services provider to completely rescind a large penalty for violations of 19 USC §§ 1595a(b) and 1499.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Member
- Florida International Bankers Association (FIBA) - Member
- American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter - Member
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Member
- Florida Bar, Federal Court Practice Committee - Former Member (2010-2012)
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter - Former President (2009-2010)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section - Member
- American Bar Association, International Law Section - Member
- Lead, No. 06-71955, Pro-Bono, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Young Sun Shin v. Alberto R. Gonzales, Attorney General of the United States of America
- Drug Free Youth In Town
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2011)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida~United States (2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida~United States (2003)
- Florida~United States (1999)
- University of Miami (JD) (1999)
- Tulane University (BA) (1996)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.