William V. Roppolo
William Roppolo is the Head of Litigation and Government Enforcement for Baker McKenzie's New York and Miami offices and serves as Co-Chair of the North America Trial Team. He is also Lead Partner of the Miami office. William has successfully tried commercial and criminal cases throughout the United States, including matters involving alleged antitrust, fraud and money laundering violations. He began his legal career investigating financial crimes with the United States Customs Service. William is a former President of the Federal Bar Association's South Florida Chapter and served on the national Federal Bar Association's Professional Ethics Committee. He has published many articles on topics including anti-corruption, PFAS litigation, Federal Trade Commission enforcement trends, and trial strategies.
William is a trial lawyer who focuses on high value, bet-the-company disputes concerning multinational corporations and individuals. He has successfully resolved cases involving antitrust and FTC investigations, money laundering, trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duties, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, export control laws, customs fraud and financial crimes. William has obtained multiple not guilty jury verdicts for clients and prevented many others from criminal investigation and indictment. He routinely represents high profile individuals and entities in crisis situations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defended healthcare company in SEC investigation alleging misleading and false statement and reporting to investors.
- Defended internet technology company in FTC investigation alleging billions of dollars in consumer harm.
- Represent pharmaceutical company in arbitration against laboratory accused of gross negligence in manufacturing cancer drug.
- Represent iconic American family in trust dispute against purported new spouse of deceased heir.
- Defended European banker in PDVSA kleptocracy and money laundering investigation.
- On behalf of a global service provider, obtained a multimillion-dollar international arbitration award which included rescission of a stock purchase agreement returning a subsidiary back to its previous shareholders. The tribunal found that the former shareholders did not disclose bribes paid to public officials to win government contracts.
- Represented a global distributor of electronics in an investigation by the Bureau of Industry and Security for alleged export violations.
- Represented a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission into alleged FCPA violations in China.
- Represented a global food producer who allegedly violated the Packers and Stockyards Act (anti-trust based violations).
- Represented a Caribbean-based investment company in recovering assets misappropriated through fraud.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association, Professional Ethics Committee - Member (2018-2019)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Member
- Florida International Bankers Association (FIBA) - Member
- American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter - Member
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Member
- Florida Bar, Federal Court Practice Committee - Former Member (2010-2012)
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter - Former President (2009-2010)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section - Member
- American Bar Association, International Law Section - Member
- Lead, No. 06-71955, Pro-Bono, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Young Sun Shin v. Alberto R. Gonzales, Attorney General of the United States of America
- Drug Free Youth In Town
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2011)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida~United States (2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida~United States (2003)
- Florida~United States (1999)
- University of Miami (JD) (1999)
- Tulane University (BA) (1996)
Publications & Presentations
- Co-author, "FTC Puts Companies on Notice That Failure to Provide Support for Their Product Claims Could Result in Civil Penalties," InsightPlus, April 2023
- Co-author, "US Court of Appeals Holds That Supreme Court’s AMG Capital Holding Does Not Limit the FTC’s Powers Under § 19 of the FTC Act," InsightPlus, 8 February 2023
- Co-author, "How The PFAS Litigation Landscape Is Expanding," Law360, 13 January 2023
- Co-author, "Beware FTC's Expanded Focus On Private Equity, Individuals," Law360, 21 November 2022
- Author, "INSIGHT: College Admissions Scandal Shows Ethical Lapses by Prosecutors," Bloomberg Law, 17 April 2020
- Co-author, "Adapting to Global Standards of Compliance," Bloomberg BNA's World Securities Law Report, 4 January 2017
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.