Craig Roeder is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Chicago office.
Mr. Roeder advises clients in a broad range of industries on domestic and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions, including public company mergers and tender offers, joint ventures and strategic alliance arrangements, public and private securities offerings, securities law compliance and corporate governance, and other corporate transactional matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counseled Ecolab Inc., a global leader in cleaning, sanitizing, food safety and infection prevention products and services, in its USD8.1 billion public stock and cash merger with Nalco Holding Company, the world’s leading water treatment and process improvement company.
- Represented The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company Limited, a leading Japanese life insurance company, with respect to its USD5.7 billion cash merger with Protective Life Corporation, a New York Stock Exchange-listed life insurance company, in the largest cross-border acquisition by a Japanese insurance company.
- Advised Abbott Laboratories, the global healthcare company, in connection with the divestiture of its developed markets branded generics business in exchange for a 22 percent equity interest in Mylan Inc., a Nasdaq-listed generic drug manufacturer, in a transaction valued at USD5.3 billion.
- Counseled Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance Company, one of the largest life insurance companies in Japan, in connection with its acquisition of StanCorp Financial Group, Inc., a New York Stock Exchange-listed financial services firm, in a cash merger valued at USD5 billion.
- Advised Medtronic Inc., a global leader in medical technology, in connection with its USD816 million cash acquisition of China Kanghui Holdings, a New York Stock Exchange-listed developer and marketer of orthopedic implants headquartered in Changzhou, China.
- Counseled CHS, Inc., a Fortune 100 agricultural cooperative, with respect to its USD2.8 billion investment in a nitrogen fertilizer manufacturing business operated by CF Industries Holdings, Inc.
- Represented Green Mountain Coffee Roaster, Inc., the developer of the Keurig® brand coffeemaker system, in connection with a minority public equity investment by The Coca-Cola Company valued at USD1.25 billion and a related strategic business collaboration.
- Counseled The Nasdaq OMX Group Inc., the operator of the Nasdaq Stock Market and other international securities exchanges, in connection with a technology transfer and minority equity investment transaction involving Borsa Istanbul A.S., the principal Turkish securities exchange.
- Acted as pro bono counsel to the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation in connection with the acquisition by The Museum of Modern Art and Columbia University of the Foundation’s extensive archives of Wright’s work, including 23,000 architectural drawings, 44,000 historical photographs, large-scale presentation models, manuscripts, extensive correspondence and other documents, as part of a unique joint stewardship arrangement.
- Leading lawyer in mergers and acquisitions in Chambers USA, Legal 500 USA, Best Lawyers and International Who’s Who of Mergers & Acquisition Lawyers.
- Client Service All Star in surveys of Fortune 1000 corporate counsel conducted by BTI Consulting Group.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Section on Business Law
Mr. Roeder serves as a member of the Executive Committee of the Garrett Corporate and Securities Law Institute of the Northwestern University Law School. Mr. Roeder also serves as a member of the board of directors of the Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago, a non-profit organization that designs and implements law-related education programs for elementary and secondary school students, and on the board of directors of the Ted Muller Camp Scholarship Fund, a charitable organization providing summer camp scholarships to underprivileged children.
- Illinois~United States (1985)
- Boston University School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (1985)
- University of Denver (B.S.) (1982)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.