Anthony is a partner with Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution team and chair of the market-leading Trusts Disputes group in London. Anthony specialises in advising clients engaged in disputes related to private wealth, succession, trusts and private banking. In such disputes, he acts for trustees, executors, protectors, beneficiaries and interested third parties and is very familiar with all the major offshore jurisdictions.
Anthony is recognised as a Band 1 lawyer in the field of Private Wealth Disputes and International Private Client: Contentious by Chambers, who describe him as " knowledgeable, cool-headed and solutions-oriented," with clients adding that he has "excellent instincts informed by some really fantastic experience." Similarly, Legal 500 rank Anthony as a Leading Individual in the field of Contentious Trusts and Probate, citing a client in describing him as "top international trusts litigator in London." He is also listed as a Leading Practitioner in Euromoney's Expert Guide to Trusts and Estates, in the UK Best Lawyers list for Litigation, and has led his team to win the Chambers High Net Worth Contentious Trusts and Estates Team of the Year 2019.
Anthony is a founding member of the Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association and a member of ACTAPS. He was elected to the ACTAPS Committee in 2018.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing the claimant in a multibillion-dollar dispute in Bermuda, Hong Kong and the USA, seeking to set aside Purpose Trusts established by a family faction. In this ongoing dispute Anthony led the team, which obtained a USD 500 million summary judgment victory in Bermuda in 2019 on a related matter.
- Advising a major offshore trust company in relation to strategy and GBP 500 million court proceedings arising from allegations that its appointment as trustee of a substantial number of trusts holding complex business assets was invalid.
- Acting for Grupo Torras SA in relation to the enforcement of a USD 800 million judgment against trust and personal assets located in Cayman, Jersey, the Bahamas, Switzerland, Spain, Singapore and elsewhere following a massive fraud on the company by key management personnel. This involved advice in connection with the settlement of this long-running dispute and overseeing the settlement process involving seventeen parties and simultaneous court orders in three jurisdictions.
- Advising the beneficiaries of trusts in Jersey and Bermuda in connection with actions to remove a protector from office and recover trust assets put in jeopardy. This advice encompassed the coordination of litigation strategies in five separate jurisdictions.
- Acting for a high-profile settlor in an action to set aside a high-value trust and other transactions on the basis of undue influence. This action involved issues in several jurisdictions, freezing injunctions and confidentiality orders.
- Acting for a Jersey-based trustee in a fraud claim for in excess of USD 500 million. The case involved complex matters of fraud, asset tracing, corporate law, unfair prejudice and an overseas criminal investigation. Multiple jurisdictions were involved, including Russia, Kazakhstan, England, Jersey, Guernsey and the BVI.
- Acting for a holding company held in a substantial trust structure in connection with allegations of fraud and a petition for unfair prejudice in respect of the conduct of the management of a London-listed company controlled by a CIS entity.
- Advising the primary beneficiary of a Jersey trust in connection with an application for the disclosure of trust documents in the context of US matrimonial proceedings.
- Advising a principal beneficiary of a number of very valuable trusts established under the law of Gibraltar in relation to a dispute as to his beneficial interests with the trustees and the other principal beneficiary.
Baker McKenzie regularly acts in major international trusts disputes and is "able to bring global strength and depth to private client cases in a way in which few other leading private client firms can." These disputes are frequently high-value, multi-party and cross-border. Practice head Anthony Poulton is a "star of the London legal market" and has extensive experience of advising clients on managing the risks associated with wealth-related controversy. He is skilled at advising on corporate governance and family governance, and at resolving private family disputes. (Legal 500 UK 2021)
"Anthony Poulton is class act – extremely knowledgeable, a clear market leader, always available, and head of a fantastic team of partners and associates." (Legal 500 UK 2021)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers' Association
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1995)
- College of Law (L.S.F.) (1993)
- University of Sussex (C.P.E.) (1992)
- University of York (B.A., Honors) (1991)
Anthony regularly contributes articles to Trusts and Trustees, Trusts & Estates Law Journal and other legal journals.
He also speaks regularly at conferences and seminars in Europe and throughout the offshore world.
He teaches on the ACTAPS training courses and delivers an annual lecture at the University of Law.