Anthony Poulton is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Dispute Resolution team in London, and chair of the market-leading Trusts Disputes group in London. Anthony focuses on advising clients engaged in disputes related to private wealth, trusts and private banking. In such disputes, he acts for trustees, executors, protectors, beneficiaries and interested third parties and is very familiar with all the major offshore jurisdictions.
Anthony is recognised in the field of contentious trusts by Chambers. Similarly, Legal 500 rank him as a leading individual in the field of contentious trusts and probate.
Anthony is a founding member of the Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association, and serves as a member of the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a major offshore trust company in relation to strategy and GBP500 million court proceedings arising from allegations that its appointment as trustee of a substantial number of trusts holding complex business assets was invalid.
- Acting for Grupo Torras SA in relation to the enforcement of a USD800 million judgment against trust and personal assets located in Cayman, Jersey, the Bahamas, Switzerland, Spain, Singapore and elsewhere following a massive fraud on the company by key management personnel. This involved advice in connection with the settlement of this long-running dispute and overseeing the settlement process involving 17 parties and simultaneous court orders in three jurisdictions.
- Acting for a high-profile settlor in an action to set aside a high-value trust and other transactions on the basis of undue influence. This action involved issues in several jurisdictions, freezing injunctions and confidentiality orders.
- Acting for a Jersey-based trustee in a fraud claim for in excess of USD500 million. The case involved complex matters of fraud, asset tracing, corporate law, unfair prejudice and an overseas criminal investigation. Multiple jurisdictions were involved, including Russia, Kazakhstan, England, Jersey, Guernsey and the BVI.
- Representing the claimant in a multi-billion dollar dispute in Bermuda, Hong Kong and the USA, seeking to set aside purpose trusts in order to return the assets to the family heirs.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers' Association
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1995)
- College of Law (L.S.F.) (1993)
- University of Sussex (C.P.E.) (1992)
- University of York (B.A. Honors) (1991)