Anne has been with Baker McKenzie since 2001. Prior to that, she spent four years with the Australian Attorney-General's Department/Australian Government Solicitor mostly working on large IT projects.
In her time at Baker McKenzie, Anne has spent 18 months working in London (2007-2008) and more recently three years working in Singapore (2017-2020).
Anne's practice focuses on IT and telecommunications supply arrangements; understanding regulatory issues for online, telecommunications and IT businesses (in particular for data management); and trade regulatory and commercial contracting advice.
Anne regularly leads projects for drafting, localising or rolling out commercial agreements of data protection policies for multiple jurisdictions in Asia Pacific and conducting due diligence for undertaking new activities in Asia Pacific markets.
While in Singapore, Anne worked with many businesses seeking to navigate data, tech regulatory and business establishment issues across Asia.
Key industry sectors in which Anne works are TMT, defence and public sector, consumer goods and retail, financial services, healthcare and automotive.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on the data-sharing privacy issues for development of a "super app" that would be used to offer products by the app owner plus host apps provided by third parties across several regulated industries including insurance, financial services and healthcare.
- Advised Asian-based businesses on projects relating to GDPR, including assessing the extent to which the GDPR will directly regulate their activities.
- Advised several online businesses on multijurisdictional cybersecurity incidents from initial detection through to implementing lessons learnt.
- Assisted several businesses in understanding developing cybersecurity legislation in Asia Pacific.
- Acted as local counsel for several MVNOs in Australia and Singapore offering various communications solutions to advise on regulatory and commercial matters.
- Acted for an Australian telecommunications company to draft and negotiate mobile telephone network construction agreements in Australia.
- Advising on telecommunications, radiocommunications and electrical safety requirements, including seeking exceptions, trial product requirements and dealing with non-compliances.
- Advised several car manufacturers and telecommunications companies on telecommunications regulation concerning Australian and Singapore connected car offerings.
- Acted for a business in Singapore to develop terms for a joint venture manufacturing and sales project for developing a robotics product for its use and to market globally.
- Acted for a business in Singapore and China for an AI-based screening tool to be rolled out for use in its stores.
- Acting as local counsel for several XaaS providers and customers on cloud services agreements in Asia Pacific, particularly on their new entry into the public and financial services sectors.
- Acting as product review counsel for several online businesses, including for online travel, consumer goods and services and B2B sales to advise on advertising and regulatory issues with new product offerings, display of pricing and qualification of claims.
- Advised an Australian department store on safety regulatory requirements for their range of products, including creating cheat sheets for the business to improve compliance.
- For a chain of retail stores, review their in-store manual for sales processes and guide for staff on dealing with difficult issues (e.g., suspected shoplifters).
- Acted for a company in setting up new free trade zone warehousing arrangements in Singapore with a third-party warehousing provider and set up requirements to act as importer and exporter.
- Led a project to conduct non-perishable import products strategic screening for 50+ jurisdictions.
- Acted for a steel manufacturer on an Australian anti-dumping investigation, seeking exceptions and renewal of measures.
- Established a sanctions compliance program for Australian software business.
- Acted for businesses to obtain permits and make voluntary disclosures for strategic supplies under Australian and Singapore regimes.
- Recognised Practitioner, Chambers, Singapore (2020)
- Recognised as an Acritas Star in 2018 to 2020, based on a global study involving over 4,300 clients who nominated lawyers they consider as stand-out
- Recommended Practitioner, Legal 500, Asia Pacific, 2015 and 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- NSW Law Society
- Singapore (Registered Foreign Lawyer)~Singapore (2018)
- England & Wales (non-practicing)~United Kingdom (2007)
- New South Wales~Australia (2001)
- Australian Capital Territory~Australia (1997)
- University of New South Wales (LL.M.) (2003)
- University of Tasmania (LL.B., Honors) (1997)
- University of Tasmania (B.A.) (1997)
- Australian National University (Graduate Diploma Legal Practice) (1997)
- Co-author, "The International Comparative Legal Guide to Public Procurement," Australian chapter, International Comparative Legal Guides, 2014-2017
- Co-author, "The Government Procurement Review," Australian chapter, Law Business Research, 2014-2019